Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured

Hi everybody

I opened my Discover secured card June of last year. I was under the impression that using only 8.9% of my credit limit ($200 CL) and always reporting 0% utilization was the safe way to achieve that coveted graduation after the 8th statement cut. I know there are many factors that go into choosing who graduates and I'm by no means bashing them since they gave me my first credit card. I was wondering if this route was a mistake? Should have I just used it more, perhaps even the whole credit line and paying it on the spot? And perhaps allowing some small balance, under the 8.9%, report? Just want some input to be more knowledgeable on future ocassions.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thummel
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Secured

Probably wouldn’t hurt to let a small balance report. Discover likes spending so you can use the card heavily and just pay it off before the statement cuts to leave a small balance.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always wondered the same. Is it better to pay off before statement cuts or wait for statement and then pay something? I didn't always wait for statement bc I've been doing the AZEO method. So I've been alternating which card reports the balance.
Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Use it all you want and let a small balance report. Also, if you're not using it, you're missing out on cashback.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.