cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover: Slow to restore available credit after payment?

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Discover: Slow to restore available credit after payment?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jahmakan wrote:

I've experienced this very thing a couple of times with my Disover card as well.  There is actually a statement/disclaimer that popped up telling me something along the lines of the available balance not being updated immediately in a situation where multiple payments are made within a short time period (believe it was three days) between each other; so the first one would update the next day, but the other ones would be delayed.  Wasn't a problem in my case because I had enough of a cushion without the payments anyway, but I can see where it could be a problem if the funds would be needed as soon as possible.  Not sure of their reason for doing it though.

OK, thanks, maybe the multiple payments was the issue

I believe it was. I remember reading on Discover's site if you make 2 or more payments in 3 days, it will take up to 8 days for the extra payments to be reflected in available credit.

Edit: What Jahmakan said. (I didn't read it at first) Smiley Tongue

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 11 of 23
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Mine is usually next day or with a 48 time frame

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 12 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OK, so no more multiple payments not spaced apart.

Just learning about Discover.   Is there a place they show declined transactions?   I just tried a $4K transaction, which didn't go through, but a $2k one then did.  I'm not used to that either!  Generally if there is a decline, there is a fraud alert and later transactions are blocked.   So just want to check it was discover who declined the first charge.

Message 13 of 23
onstar
Established Contributor

Discover: Usually 1 day after payment date. One time it took 2 or 3 days. 

All of my other cards: Same day or 1 day after payment date.

Amex: Usually instant. You hit payment Submit, and the available credit is instantly restored by the payment amount. Although one time, there was a glitch in the system: after I PIF, the available credit went down instead of going up (and there was no pending charges). It resolved itself without my intervention in about 5 days.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 23
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just learning about Discover.   Is there a place they show declined transactions?   I just tried a $4K transaction, which didn't go through, but a $2k one then did.  I'm not used to that either!  Generally if there is a decline, there is a fraud alert and later transactions are blocked.   So just want to check it was discover who declined the first charge.

Now that's strange, give them a call and see what's going on.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

They should send you an email regarding the decline and a little information why.  It may have just declined because the card is new and they don't know how you spend yet, since it was such a large purchase.  

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is usually with a few hours, occasionally up to 24. I make 4 or 5 payments a month on my discover and never really have it take longer than a day. It may have something to do with your banks interactions with discover as well. 

One of my CU's does not play nice with US bank and payments post slow, and avail credit is slow to restore. My other CU its nearly instant, so I am pretty sure its where the money is coming from, not on US banks side.

Message 17 of 23
core
Valued Contributor

These "poll" responses are not all that useful for comparison purposes without mentioning the payment method.  There's a big difference between pushing payments, pulling payments, and sending them a personal check from your bookie. 

Pushing the payments from your Discover Bank account would likely result in no hold once it actually posts, but I haven't kept a close eye on my available credit in the past to see.  But you're getting a free $0.10 each time so why not make them pay up.

Message 18 of 23
NobodyImportant
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

AGC transactions authorize as cash advances (but post as purchases), so your CA limit is probably the issue there.

Message 19 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NobodyImportant wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

AGC transactions authorize as cash advances (but post as purchases), so your CA limit is probably the issue there.

My CA limit is (just) large enough, $4.5K but maybe some is being held from the other purchases, so good point.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.