Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Student Card question for my son

tag
QCS123
Established Contributor

Discover Student Card question for my son

My son has a Discover It Student card.  He's had it for two years.  He always pays the balance in full each month and uses it very regularly.  He is strapped for cash this month and has a balance of $900, which he wants to pay off, but may only be able to pay $600 by the due date (23rd of this month).  Can he call and get a 0% offer or an APR reduction?  If they give him a 0% APR will it apply to new purchases only or to his current balance of $900?

They keep sending him offers for Student cards at 0% apr at least once a month, If he was out of college I would suggest he apply for a second card, but he has one year left and that might not be a good idea at the moment even though he is employed and will be employed at a decent $ rate at an internship in the fall as well during school.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Student Card question for my son

I have that card and I'm not entirely sure of the answer, but I would call customer service and see what they say. It's always worth a shot. Especially with their amazingly nice customer service reps.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Student Card question for my son

It's actually better if he establish more credit lines now than in the future to use them as a strong foundation for future credit needs, as long as he is responsible of course which seems to be the case here.

On the 0% apr matter, he should definitely call them and ask for it. I believe people have reported that discover offers such things but i don't know whether it would apply on past purchases. Maybe someone with more experience on the matter can help you more with a more definitive answer.

Worst case he can apply for a 0% balance transfer card(and 0 fees) to avoid being charged interest and he can sock drawer it as soon as he is done paying it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.