cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover .. We need to talk !

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !

Im sure there are no complaints on getting ones cash back doubled or 5% returnedSmiley Wink.
Message 11 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Im sure there are no complaints on getting ones cash back doubled or 5% returnedSmiley Wink.

Right, but with capped cards the rewards are still fairly small.   After the first year, IF you were able to max out every quarter, you would get $180 more than using a 2% everywhere card (and my expectation is that many do not max every quarter).   Now $180 is not nothing (using my math skills I calculate it is approx $180 more than nothing) but given that that is a max, some may not feel it's worth getting another card for that, or worth the effort of keeping track of the quarters etc.

 

That said, I've just converted my now useless Miles to the standard IT, so maybe I will also fall in love.   Or not.

Message 12 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Im sure there are no complaints on getting ones cash back doubled or 5% returnedSmiley Wink.

Right, but with capped cards the rewards are still fairly small.   After the first year, IF you were able to max out every quarter, you would get $180 more than using a 2% everywhere card (and my expectation is that many do not max every quarter).   Now $180 is not nothing (using my math skills I calculate it is approx $180 more than nothing) but given that that is a max, some may not feel it's worth getting another card for that, or worth the effort of keeping track of the quarters etc.

 

That said, I've just converted my now useless Miles to the standard IT, so maybe I will also fall in love.   Or not.


Yeah but you are leaving out the fact the Disco is a 2% card for the first year too or the Miles is effectively 3% which means you can carry around two cards (because Discover isn’t accepted everywhere). Simplicity is nice sometimes so if you have cash back match, it can replace most of your other card spending unless you have a Limitless or some other high earning card. 

 

I wouldn’t mind another Disco, probably would go for the Miles and use it for everything for the year and would probably have already gone for it if I didn’t know my limit would probably be $500 if I got approved at all because of my current Disco exposure to income. 

Message 13 of 42
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@patoot10 wrote:

Before I start let me say that Discover was my first card and I used it exclusively for 6 months while establishing credit before getting cards from other lenders and during those 6 months I formed a good idea about Discover mission, they are basically a small time issuer who doesn't care about profit margins but cares about establishing a big market share and acquiring as much customers as they can while maintaining high customer service quality to keep those customers and they succeeded in doing so, everyone here on myfico has 1 if not 2 discover cards and a ton of people who are clueless about credit and churning have a discover card "because they approved me" or "they have a lot of nice colors/designs". However, things recently took a steep turn.

 

Starting from nerfring benefits right and left, one after the other to nerfing the thing they offered best which is quality customer service. During the last year Discover got rid of price protection, extended warranty, return protection, purchase protection, rental insurance, flight accident insurance as well as discover deals, $30 wifi credit on miles card and even providing FICO score chart on your bill on monthly basis !! (I read some chatter about balance transfer fees going up but not confirmed yet)

 

Even the only thing they had going for them which was the 5% rotating category card became super boring, predictable and pretty much useless when paired with popular cards. You can tell so from our reactions when they released their 5% calendar for this year.

 

And to top it off they changed how the live chat works on the website and now it's called "Message an agent" and instead of the agent replying to you within 60 seconds you have to wait for them for God knows how long and since Discover "cares" about you they offer push notifications so you can be notified when Mr. Customer Service Rep is finally ready to help you. I had to call their number and before reaching a human rep, Discover robo-dude made sure I know they are "upgrading" their automated system to make it even more automated and offer more help to the customers without human interaction. So basically cutting down on human force and trying to make the process as automated as possible (new Capital One bad "automated" customer service. Anyone?)

 

As an active investor I can tell you that Discover stock is not doing great and hasn't been performing well in the previous years so looks like Discover is ready for the next step and it definitely doesn't put the customer interests into consideration anymore. It's time for Discover to make $$$. I am sad that I downgraded discover in my own ranking from being in my top 3 banks to just being another card. In the meantime to the sock drawer you go disco.

 

Let me know your thoughts on this.


As an active investor, I can tell you customer service and how nice/friendly/not-automated/etc their customer support is ranks as one of the least important factors affecting the valuation. Companies that waste money on over-the-top service are spending unnecessary dollars that could be growing the company or paying more dividends. Automation saves money, and that helps the bottom line. It's a cold, hard truth, but that is what investors care about.

 

UAL is a good example of this. People loathe their customer service, and they'll even clobber the occasional passenger over the head and drag them off a plane. But, they continue to meet/beat estimates, and their stock has continued do ok.

 

Any problems DFS may have (and I for one don't think they're doing terribly) are not because of cuts to service. I see their major problem as being a largely domestic company. Until they get a foothold in international markets, they're never going to have the consumer base that Visa/MC does, and limited markets mean limited future potential.

Message 14 of 42
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !

^^

 

In the last 5 years Discover stock under-performed the market by over 50%. Any smart investor won't put their money on such stock over say VOO or SPY.

 

Aside from the investing aspect, the fact that they are downsizing human resources and trying to automate the process while nerfing benefits tells you they are cutting every corner for that extra profit which affects the customer who doesn't care about investing and profit margins they care about a company that treats them right and maintain the benefits and services the customer signed up for. Discover is free to do whatever they think is right for profits but they are losing ground and they are losing it fast. Aside from the first year no one really uses their cards beyond that and they are slowly turning to a subprime lender like capital one that focuses on customers with not so-good credit and high balances.

 

At the end of the day American Express remains king of the credit world from day zero and looks like dethroning them is just not gonna happen even though they operate their own limited network unlike Visa or MasterCard.




Message 15 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Im sure there are no complaints on getting ones cash back doubled or 5% returnedSmiley Wink.

Right, but with capped cards the rewards are still fairly small.   After the first year, IF you were able to max out every quarter, you would get $180 more than using a 2% everywhere card (and my expectation is that many do not max every quarter).   Now $180 is not nothing (using my math skills I calculate it is approx $180 more than nothing) but given that that is a max, some may not feel it's worth getting another card for that, or worth the effort of keeping track of the quarters etc.

 

That said, I've just converted my now useless Miles to the standard IT, so maybe I will also fall in love.   Or not.


Yeah but you are leaving out the fact the Disco is a 2% card for the first year too or the Miles is effectively 3% which means you can carry around two cards (because Discover isn’t accepted everywhere).  


I'm not leaving it out because I said "After the first year".   Yes, for year one there are extra advantages, but there are also good SUB on other cards for the first year (or 3 months) so I was looking after that period

Message 16 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Im sure there are no complaints on getting ones cash back doubled or 5% returnedSmiley Wink.

Right, but with capped cards the rewards are still fairly small.   After the first year, IF you were able to max out every quarter, you would get $180 more than using a 2% everywhere card (and my expectation is that many do not max every quarter).   Now $180 is not nothing (using my math skills I calculate it is approx $180 more than nothing) but given that that is a max, some may not feel it's worth getting another card for that, or worth the effort of keeping track of the quarters etc.

 

That said, I've just converted my now useless Miles to the standard IT, so maybe I will also fall in love.   Or not.


Yeah but you are leaving out the fact the Disco is a 2% card for the first year too or the Miles is effectively 3% which means you can carry around two cards (because Discover isn’t accepted everywhere).  


I'm not leaving it out because I said "After the first year".   Yes, for year one there are extra advantages, but there are also good SUB on other cards for the first year (or 3 months) so I was looking after that period


It can easily be argued though that because of the match, the Discover is more useful than those other cards you get just for the SUB though. That’s the point. Disco’s way of doing it is genius because it pushes you to use their card 9 months longer than the competition. 

Message 17 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !


@patoot10 wrote:

^^

 

That's because you have cards giving you all of discover's 5% categories year round.


Right, but I would drop Citi DC and PPCBMC for the Disco card if they did come out with one. Disco's app interface and still decent CS would push them over the others for me. I hate that the PPCBMC isn't integrated with PayPal and the minimum redemption, 1+1% with Citi is annoying (but not enough for me to not use the card). honestly, I wish Cap1 would come out with a 2% card lol.

Message 18 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !

I have seldom had an occasion to contact Discover cs. When I did it was very helpful. The card that does not require much customer assistance is always a good one in my opinion. The bonus quarters are handy. We just maxed the grocery cap so it will be Double Cash until Freedom's second quarter begins on Monday.

 

 BCE is in the SD. My experience with American Express customer service has not been positive. 

 

Message 19 of 42
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover .. We need to talk !

Unfortunately the comments on this topic are not addressing the continous nerfing of benefits while keeping in mind that Discover hasn't offered a single new positive benefit since their rebranding years ago.




Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.