Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover, When to pull the trigger for CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover, When to pull the trigger for CLI

Hi everyone, regarding Discover CLI. I thought I would make my own thread instead of jumping into someone elses.

I got the card on April 18ish, the statement cut on the 26. In May, it cut on the 26. Should I request a CLI or wait till the third statement with the hopes of an auto CLI? My SL is $5500. I spent 2k the first statement and 5100 the second. I let the 5100 report but PIF. I Hope the "Discover Kings of CLI" can let me know what to do Smiley HappyI read people get higher increases if they wait for auto CLI, which comes on the 3rd statement. Is it higher than if I initiated the request? I want to know because I do not want to ruin my chances. If they can give me a 10k increaseSmiley Tongue I wouldn't mind doing a BT. I think I read someone got an auto CLI of 12k or 14k. 

Edit* I asked a related question in recent post. Please answer.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover, When to pull the trigger for CLI

From my understanding you want to wait until the third statement cuts. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

After the 3rd statement would be good.  It seems to be different for everyone.  You just never know.  Once you get your first cli, you can check it again in a couple of  months to see what happens.  Sometimes I got 500.00 & others 7k.  You just never know with them. 

Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yep, after the third one or 91 days

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding CLI clock. Does it restart once you try for a CLI or can I just push it every 15 days if I wanted to?

It is currently giving me the message that I can't request a CLI at this time. Something about mail in 3-5 days. I don't know the exact wording but that is what I am getting.

Message 5 of 10
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Question regarding CLI clock. Does it restart once you try for a CLI or can I just push it every 15 days if I wanted to?

It is currently giving me the message that I can't request a CLI at this time. Something about mail in 3-5 days. I don't know the exact wording but that is what I am getting.

If you're seeing the message, more than likely it's beene too close to your last CLI. At this point wait for the letter as it may provide the clue. 

Three statements or 90 days is a safe bet for minimum waiting period for multiple issuers.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're seeing the message, more than likely it's beene too close to your last CLI. At this point wait for the letter as it may provide the clue. 

Three statements or 90 days is a safe bet for minimum waiting period for multiple issuers.

So if it get that message, does the clock start from when I get that message or since the last increase?

Message 7 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So if it get that message, does the clock start from when I get that message or since the last increase?

You can hit the button all you want you will not get a CLI until after your third statement.  Also, chances of getting a 10k or over cli out of the box are slim to none you may get 2k-6k at best.  From my experience it's been 2k, 3k then 6k.

Wait 90+ days and see what you get.  Remember $5,500 starting CL isn't bad for Discover.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Indeed $5.5K is a pretty good jump out of the gate compared to many.

There are certain profiles that do make them eligible for larger SP CLI's and also sometimes more frequently.

Then there are those profiles where 91+ days seem to be the normal schedule and at a slower pace of 500 greenies a pop.

Patience is key with continued good management.

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

How often you can request CLI's and if you qualify are two entirely different matters.  Ideally you should request when you qualify, not just X amount of time.  However, Discover will generally SP and notify you if an HP is required so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Whether you qualify or not is never just a matter of the account itself.  Your entire credit profile and your income at time of consideration are the primary factors as with any creditor.

@Anonymous wrote:

I spent 2k the first statement and 5100 the second. I let the 5100 report but PIF. I Hope the "Discover Kings of CLI" can let me know what to do

Do not rely on the usage meme.  Again, it is never just about the account itself but your entire credit profile.  I've received large CLI's with Discover with little to no usage because my profile and income supported the CLI's.

@Anonymous wrote:

I read people get higher increases if they wait for auto CLI, which comes on the 3rd statement. Is it higher than if I initiated the request?

You can read all sorts of stuff on the internet.  Always consider your sources, validate, corroborate, etc.  I initiated a CLI at ~3 months and had my limit doubled.  Again, it's all about your profile and income.  YMMV depending on your profile and income.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I read someone got an auto CLI of 12k or 14k.  

You cannot rely on anecdotal evidence like that.  Such CLI's are certainly possible with creditors.  I haven't seen a single CLI on that scale from Discover but I have received such CLI's from Barclaycard and USAA.  My biggest CLI's with Discover have been on the order of $6K.  How does your credit profile and income stack against that person you read about?  If you're not similar enough you won't see such results.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.