Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Wholesale 5% back & Costco

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Discover Wholesale 5% back & Costco

Hey everyone! So I came to find out that my Costco Membership expires today and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with charging their Costco Membership renewal fee to their Discover Card and received the 5% back since it's a Wholesale club.

If not, that's totally okay, I was just curious to see if I can get the max back in rewards. Thanks!

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Wholesale 5% back & Costco

I would be surprised if your renewal fee wasn’t automatically charged to your Citi card. Mine was automatically charged about 30 days before it was due.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Seconding the above; believe it's auto charged to the Citi card.

Message 3 of 8
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I’m only an Authorized User so by default mine was turned off for auto-renewal thru that card.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco takes Discover online but not in the store, so I'd try there.

You can also buy a bunch of gift cards online today before your membership expires, get the 5% off, and not even need to renew your membership because you can use a gift card there without one.

Message 5 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Can you buy anything at Costco w/o a membership or are these Costco gift cards.

Also, am I right it wrong—if you don’t renew membership, your Citi-Costco VISA card becomes void?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 8
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I went ahead and just pulled the trigger to do the transaction on my Discover card today. I had no indications that my Citi card was void either, I believe it takes a period of time before they completely pull the plug.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told both by Citi and Costco that the card will be cancelled 6 months after ending membership, if membership is renewed again before 6 months is up, the card will remained functional as if nothing happened..
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.