Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover acting weird

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover acting weird

Agree with Appleman, the Double your Cash back IS the sign up bonus.  The more you use it, the larger your "sign-up" bonus becomes.

So you can essentially create your own sign up bonus in an amount that YOU see fit.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 11 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The main benefit of getting a Discover is its 1st year cash back match up and its potential to grow for some. I wouldng wait for s specific time if you feel you would enjoy the double cash back in year one and the possibility of having a potentially good growing card off sp id go for it. Just my 2 british poundsSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But as far as postage it costs them from USPS 3-4 cents per each one to mail them. They get a contracted deal for bulk mail, and it's considered "second class mail" which is mail that if it gets lost it's not considered a big deal and so on.

- Source I worked at USPS for 3 years.

Good to know, thanks for that info!

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those that have had their Discover card for more than 1 year (past the double CB promo) how much less do you find yourself using the card in Year 2?  Have you moved to just using it for the 5% categories like the Chase Freedom?  I'm about 2 months away from hitting my 1 year mark with Discover and I venture to guess that my use of the card will drop significantly.  For things like general spend where I could use a 2% CB card like my Blispay, I tend to reach for Discover since it's essentially the same thing right now even though I'm waiting a bit for that other 1%... once the promo period is up though, there's not much incentive that I see to use the card outside of the 5% rotating categories.

Message 14 of 18
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The bonus is 2X cashback on your spend for the first 12 cycles. 

Effectively you're earning 2%-10% or more depending on your spend pattern. You can earn more through Disco Deals where the average offer is 5% and some go as high as 10-15% for some travel options.  So, 10-30% for something you would buy anyway out ranks most cards for the first year at least.

Disco does this method of "BONUS" to deter the churners that collect their 100-500 bonus and then dump the card for the next shiny object floating in the air.

As to after the first year..... I keep mine active with the monthly bills and 5% catagory spend to keep pushing the CL upwards.  After my first year was up I still managed to bump them up another $22K+ in the last 6 months or so.  

You'll find benefits when you want them.  You'll get your bonus cash back instantly after 12 months is up.  Disco isn't everyone else but, they make up for it in the end.

Message 15 of 18
rockup55
Contributor

I think Discover is Outstanding!!  I first had the IT card and received in excess of $2000 in cashback after the 12 month cycle. That included a few sign up referrals and taking advantage of the Apple Pay bonus.  By the end of the 12 month cycle, I had obtained a nice credit limit of $20.000.  After the 12 month cycle was up, I started using the IT card just for the 5% quarterly categories and I applied for the IT Miles card to take advantage of another 12 month double cashback cycle.  My IT Miles card cycle will end at the end of May this year and based on present miles credit, my double cashback equivalent will again exceed $2000.  My credit limit on the miles card is $15,000.  After the 12 cycles are up for the miles card, I will use it minimally just enough to keep it active and maintain my credit limit.  I will then have my wife apply for an IT miles card to achieve another double cash back cycle for the family and then move to minimal usage on that card after the 12 cycles.  Discover customer service is Outstanding and so is many of the other benefits attached to the card like price protection which I have used often.  After we go through a 12 month cycle with my wife miles card, the family will have achieved cashback benefits in excess of $6000 over three years just for spending money on stuff that we would be spending anyway even if we did not have credit cards.  I could not be happier with Discover.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny.  I used to average at least one a week, and sometimes I would get two mailers a week from them.  Went on for quite a while but has slowed down considerably now.  Not sure why because my profile and scores have not changed but I was never going to bite on that one anyway.

Message 17 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Awhile back i once saw a 75$ bonus for discover but they were not doing the double rewards the first year thing then ..... was if you signed up for discover via Amazon... 

But your referral bonus is doubled at the end of the first year too btw.. so thats a 100$ for the referral.... 

-J

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.