Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover additional cardholder card number same

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover additional cardholder card number same

Hello a question I added my girlfriend to my Discover card as an additional cardholder I received the card in the mail and it has the same card number as mine so my question is how would it help her by being reported to the credit bureau if it has the same card number as mine ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover additional cardholder card number same

Good question. I was an authorized user on my Parent's credit card when I was young before I got my own and I don't think it helped. Either that, or 1 AU wasn't enough to get me enough history for my own credit card.

Message 2 of 6
Raisondetre
Contributor

It should be fine. Chase does the same thing when it comes to card numbers and they showed up on my credit just fine after I was added as an AU. It also did help me be able to establish my own credit again after not too long.
Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 3 of 6
eastsea
Regular Contributor

It is not the card number, it is her SSN you gave when adding her that identifies her and gives her the report. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look on the lower right corner of the back of the card. You’ll see “A001” on the primary card. AU cards will be A002, A003, etc to differentiate them. It’s likely there’s coding in the strip to that effect too.
Message 5 of 6
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If you look at the back of your Discover card, under the Disco, Diners and Pulse logos, there's a card identifier that starts with "A". (A001, A002, A003, ~) This is how Discover knows which card is being used. You can have multiple card designs in hand and turn them off/on online using these identifiers as well.

As eastsea said, Discover will report her as an AU using the info you provided for her to get a card on your account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.