tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover and Cash at Checkout

I was just reading over my Disco benefits and was shocked to see this:

Cash at Checkout

Skip the ATM and get cash with your card purchase

Just use your card at participating retailers to get cash over your purchase at your standard purchase APR—with zero fees. We limit transactions to $120 every 24 hours but individual stores often have their own limit, so please check.

I have 0% interest on purchases, so this is a neat feature -- not that I'll use it, but it's nice to know of this benefit.

Has anyone taken advantage of this?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover and Cash at Checkout

I did it once.....I was literally just following the prompts after I swiped my card (not thinking about the fact I swiped with my Discover), and it asked if I wanted cash back. I said yes, $20! After the transaction, I had an oh crap moment lol. But there were no additional fees on my statement that month. 

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just used this yesterday for the first time lol It is the same as when you use a debit card and the screen asks if you want cash back. It is a nice extra feature to have if you are ever at the store and remember you need a little extra cash and don't want to go down to the atm. Just pay with your Discover card instead and get some cash back. But I do remember now that you can't do this at all places tho

Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's cool I never knew that! So kind of like the Walmart credit card
Message 4 of 43
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

I was just reading over my Disco benefits and was shocked to see this:

Cash at Checkout

Skip the ATM and get cash with your card purchase

Just use your card at participating retailers to get cash over your purchase at your standard purchase APR—with zero fees. We limit transactions to $120 every 24 hours but individual stores often have their own limit, so please check.

I have 0% interest on purchases, so this is a neat feature -- not that I'll use it, but it's nice to know of this benefit.

Has anyone taken advantage of this?

I didn't read about it in the benefits, but the first time I used my Discover card at Walmart it asked if I wanted cash back, so I did $20 to see how it works. Yep no fees, no interest - as long as you pay any cash advances in full by the next due date after the statement that includes the cashback. Now I regularly get cash back at Walmart and Safeway (grocery store). But if you're in the 0% intro on a new card, No, you don't get the cash interest free for your entire 0% intro, you need to pay any purchase cash advance in full by the next due date to avoid any interest. It's 0% on purchases, not cash. It would be great, I'd be getting $120 every 24 hours, but they kinda saw that one coming. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 43
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes, i do it once in awhile if i use my Disco at Sams, i think for me my max for one tranaction was $60 so not sure if that was Sams max allowed or my Discos.
Message 6 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Cash?  What is it and how is it used!

Message 7 of 43
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Cash?  What is it and how is it used!

When you use a Discover card to pay for a purchase at certain large chain stores the terminal asks you if you would like cash back, in $20 multiples. Walmart, Sams Club and Safeway I know does it, probably most large chain grocery stores as well. No fee if you pay the cash advance in full by the due date on the statement that includes the cash back charge. Nice feature. You get the same cashback offer & same no fee terms with a Walmart store card used at Walmart or Sams Club.

Message 8 of 43
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

DaveInAZ
I'm almost 99.9999999% certain that LongTimeLurker was being facetious 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 43
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I think the cashover feature is one of the best features of Discover.   It's treated like a purchase, so there's no interest if you pay it off within the grace period.   I've used it more than a few times.   Sam's Club and Walmart have the feature within their stores for their own cards, but Discover can be used many, many places.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.