Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Paypal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and Paypal

If I link my Disco card to Paypal, can I combine offers?

For example, next quarter is 5% with PayPal. PayPal has a $5 off $50 dollar purchase at Target. Can those both be used in one transaction?

Also, when using the linked card, does the charge code as PayPal or does it code for the end merchant (e.g. Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc)?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover and Paypal

I have a question about linking that Disco card also. I sometimes sell something on eBay. If someone does a return on eBay is there a chance they will use that disco card to return funds to a buyer. My disco card is secured right now so I don’t want any returns off it. I have not linked it because I didn’t know.

Thanks in advance

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

PayPal deals are for any payment method since they are directly offered through PayPal.

PayPal does send merchant coding info to the credit card companies. For example, my purchase from ANTonline for a new Xbox One X the other day is showing up as antonline.com on my Cash Magnet, there’s actually no mention of PayPal at all. On my Disco it would show up as PAYPAL *ANTONLINE 000-000-0000 GA (the zeroes would be the actual phone number, GA being seller’s state).
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
I have a question about linking that Disco card also. I sometimes sell something on eBay. If someone does a return on eBay is there a chance they will use that disco card to return funds to a buyer. My disco card is secured right now so I don’t want any returns off it. I have not linked it because I didn’t know.

Thanks in advance

I always thought PayPal just took the money from your PayPal account balance? I only ever had one time where something got messed up but PayPal threw my PayPal balance into the negative and sent me a notice to cure. 

Message 4 of 10
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

I have had it to happen after the EBAY 30 days and they take it from whatever you had linked. I was wondering if they had an agreement with Disco about that. I’m going to wait until hopefully it become unsecured. Everything is going fine and I don’t want any problems with my Disco card.

Thank you!

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought PayPal takes the money from whatever you designate as primary (for me it's my checking account). But I've never had something returned, so I guess I don't really know
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting topic ,following

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I linked my Discover Card, and I use it on PayPal for buying. That being said, I also sell on Ebay so my funds go to my regular PayPal account (to which I have a Mastercard that allows the cash withdrawal of the funds) or I can transfer that cash to my checking account.

I have the choice when I pay... Discover (codes as the seller with phone number), my PayPal balance, or my checking account directly. When I sell, if there is a return, it will be taken out of the original method of payment. I can also choose how I want to pay any Ebay fees that I may have (PayPal balance, checking account, etc).

If you purchase something, you can choose how you want to pay.

If you sell something, the buyer cant pay using your Discover Card so there would be no risk or any returns messing with your card. Your PayPal balance has nothing to do with your Discover Card.

I hope I explained this right lol
Message 8 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

PayPal will typically take funds from your PayPal balance FIRST, and then from whatever payment source you designate (such as your checking account or credit card). I usually don’t let balances sit in my Paypal or Venmo unless I know I’m going to use it right away.

Message 9 of 10
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

I hope someone will provide a more definitive answer. I don't use PayPal as much as I once did for incoming sales revenue. When I did, they would only take from bank account, or reverse charges. As in nothing new on a CC outside of deleted credits, unless I approved a new debit.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.