Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Walmart Gas

tag
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Discover and Walmart Gas

Don't buy gas at Walmart and expect to get 5% cashback with Discover. Our Walmart has a stand alone gas station and all purchases are coded as Retail/Merchandise and not Gasoline. Discover rep said it's not our fault that Walmart codes it that way (shocker). She advised me to go to another gas station and buy there. Wow, please let me drive across town and spend more per gallon just to get 5% back! No thanks!! For the record, I do understand that Discover is not responsible for the way that retailers code their transactions but it would sure be nice to have Discover send something out stating which gas stations are not covered under the 5% category. They simply told me that it had to be a stand alone gas station. Well folks, the Walmart gas station stands alone right next to the store.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover and Walmart Gas

@SpecFile wrote:

Don't buy gas at Walmart and expect to get 5% cashback with Discover. Our Walmart has a stand alone gas station and all purchases are coded as Retail/Merchandise and not Gasoline. Discover rep said it's not our fault that Walmart codes it that way (shocker). She advised me to go to another gas station and buy there. Wow, please let me drive across town and spend more per gallon just to get 5% back! No thanks!! For the record, I do understand that Discover is not responsible for the way that retailers code their transactions but it would sure be nice to have Discover send something out stating which gas stations are not covered under the 5% category. They simply told me that it had to be a stand alone gas station. Well folks, the Walmart gas station stands alone right next to the store.

Hmm. I never buy gas there as there isn't a Wally Gas particularly close to me, however Sam's seems to code it correctly.

Message 2 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SpecFile wrote:

Except Discover would have no way of knowing that.  Card issuers often advise to be mindful of coding issues, as it's usually tied to the primary business description.   So a grocery store that owns a gas station (or has a restaurant inside) might code as groceries.   I have a convenience store near my house that got rid of their gas pumps years ago, but they still code as "gas."   I can't blame a card issuer for that.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

@SpecFile wrote:

Well folks, the Walmart gas station stands alone right next to the store.

I think you are misunderstanding the "stand alone" part.  If it's right next to the store, uses the same merchant account, has the same store name on the sign, it's not exactly standalone.  What would not be stand alone here in your mind?  If you had to bash your car through the front door of Walmart and fill up in the produce section? Smiley Happy

If there are some pumps that are coded correctly, great that's a bonus, but you honestly can't expect Discover to send out lists of tens of thousands of gas stations.  It would be nice of they had a MCC lookup like Visa, yes.  One that worked, unlike Visa's.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@SpecFile wrote:

Except Discover would have no way of knowing that.  Card issuers often advise to be mindful of coding issues, as it's usually tied to the primary business description.   So a grocery store that owns a gas station (or has a restaurant inside) might code as groceries.   I have a convenience store near my house that got rid of their gas pumps years ago, but they still code as "gas."   I can't blame a card issuer for that.  

Sounds like a great place to use a Sam's MC. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds like a great place to use a Sam's MC. Smiley Very Happy

Or if one is not up for applying for another card, sounds like a great place to use a bunch of Walmart gift cards that one might have purchased at Walmart.com during last quarter's online shopping bonus with Discover.  If the only other gas station is clear across town, I mean. 

Message 6 of 14
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

As I stated before, I know that Discover is not responsible for the way purchases are coded.  I'm just frustrated because I have purchased all of my fuel at Walmart just to find out today that they don't code "gasoline".  

Message 7 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

@SpecFile wrote:

Wow, please let me drive across town and spend more per gallon just to get 5% back! No thanks!!

You know, I just thought of something:

If you spent that much on gasoline this month to be this upset, didn't your car go anywhere near a real standalone gas station in the process of burning up all that fuel?

Just something to ponder.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@core wrote:

@SpecFile wrote:

Wow, please let me drive across town and spend more per gallon just to get 5% back! No thanks!!

You know, I just thought of something:

If you spent that much on gasoline this month to be this upset, didn't your car go anywhere near a real standalone gas station in the process of burning up all that fuel?

Just something to ponder.

Maybe they live across the road from WM.

Message 9 of 14
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they live across the road from WM.

Yup, maybe they do.  So where does all the gasoline get used then?  Maybe visiting Kate each day?  Doh, now I get it.  I see what you just did there.  Clever, sir.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.