Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover approved me, Chase denied me!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover approved me, Chase denied me!!

So my scores went up alot recently (as you can see from my signature)  I app'd for the discover more and the chase flexible rewards.  Here are the cards I currently have:

BOA- 750/2400
Chase Amazon- 0/400
Target-0/200
Home depot- 350/1001

Discover approved me for a 3,000 CL, but Chase denied me.  WTH?  I was doing a balance transfer from my BOA to chase (buy now can do it for Discover) as it was a 0% on BT.  I am going to pay down over next few months.  I PIF all other accounts, except HD because I use the 0% for 6 months option. 

Should I call and ask them why?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
REgnlor
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover approved me, Chase denied me!!

Congrats on the nice scores and the Discover!  Without a doubt call them!  There could be an easy reason that you can explain to them and get approval. Good luck and let us know!!

Starting Score:EQ 560t> TU 560EXP 570
Current Score:EQ 674t> TU 697EXP 700
Goal Score:EQ 700> TU 700EXP 700>

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with RE. Call and ask for a manual review/recon.

Congratulations on the Discover card! Nice opening cl. Smiley Happy

IMO, Chase has a very strict lending criteria. Perhaps one of the strictest out there. I gave up on them years ago, and I even have every investment vehicle at Chase and have for the past 12 years, and I can't get a cc from them.

ritmyer, are those true FICO scores you got from right here at myFiCO? Those are impressive score jumps in a short period of time. Congrats on that too.
Message 3 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am still waiting to hear from Chase for the app I put in 2 weeks ago.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, those are the scores from MyFico.

Our mortgage broker did a credit repair and all my baddies were deleted.  I charged all my christmas presents, and then paid them down, so my util went from 75% to 30%.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will call and ask why.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that you should try and get a manual review with Chase, but don't feel bad if you don't get approved. I have a family member who works at Chase and they have significantly tightened up their borrowing requirements as a strategy to improved account quality. This may change over time, but with fee income at an all time high, they can afford to be stingy issuing credit for now.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So my scores went up alot recently (as you can see from my signature) I app'd for the discover more and the chase flexible rewards. Here are the cards I currently have:
BOA- 750/2400
Chase Amazon- 0/400
Target-0/200
Home depot- 350/1001
Discover approved me for a 3,000 CL, but Chase denied me. WTH? I was doing a balance transfer from my BOA to chase (buy now can do it for Discover) as it was a 0% on BT. I am going to pay down over next few months. I PIF all other accounts, except HD because I use the 0% for 6 months option.
Should I call and ask them why?

Some where on this board I posted about the discrepancies of some lenders approving people while others do not. In this credit game Chase has been my very best friend.

Discover on the other hand wants me to Discover that I do no qualify for their products.

BOA won't give me the time of day either. Your scores are much higher than mine.

Chase is great about doing manual reviews. In fact on one card, I called immediately after applying, and they asked me some questions about my recent inq's and my CO's. I explained it to them. They approved me, and I have been successful with CLI's. My util's were at 11%.

Call them, ask for a review. Then tell them exactly what they are seeing in your report. They should be most helpful! Just my humble opinion.

Message Edited by miahmarie on 03-18-2008 11:37 AM
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, today I log into my Chase amazon account...and I see that they DID approve me for the Chase Flexible rewards with a $5,000 CL.  Someone mistakenly told me that they declined me.  I should be getting my card anyday now!!

Crazy!  It only took a month.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's wonderful ritmyer! Super congratulations! Smiley Happy

That is a prime card by anyone's definition.
Message 9 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Both Discover and Chase declined my apps about 4 weeks ago. Citi / National City both approved me. I guess some people like sweet and some like hot. It is all taste of Underwriters.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.