Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card closed account

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Discover card closed account

Never happened to me before but got a letter in the mail from Discover informing me they've closed my account...no explanation given in the letter but I called and spoke to customer service and they said Discover will close an account for inactivity...it's been about 9 months since I've used the card so that makes sense...i've been opting to use my American Express Blue Cash Preferred card for the cash back...the CSR did tell me that "technically" my account isn't closed and I can still use it...told me that if I simply charge a little each month I won't get another letter...so I'll split between the Amex and Discover each month for gas, groceries, etc.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover card closed account

Nothing odd about closing a card for inactivity, but what's odd is the letter says it's closed but a CSR says it's not technically closed. Why didn't they just send a letter saying it will be closed for inactivity instead of saying it is closed? Well anyway you better go charge a pack of gum to that sucker before they "technically" change their minds.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the account is closed, you won't be able to use it.  Unless the letter is an "intent to close for inactivity"... Have you tried to use the card since the letter?  I highly doubt you will be able to use the card when the letter states the account has been closed.

Message 3 of 17
klarso11
Regular Contributor

Not Discover but I closed (2) Credit One cards. They have reported them as closed to the bureaus but they continue to send emails to me encouraging me to come back. I guess that means they woule "reopen" them if I did? I tried that once with an old Capital One card and they said once closed, always closed.

Message 4 of 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@klarso11 wrote:

Not Discover but I closed (2) Credit One cards. They have reported them as closed to the bureaus but they continue to send emails to me encouraging me to come back. I guess that means they woule "reopen" them if I did? I tried that once with an old Capital One card and they said once closed, always closed.

I was successfully able to re-open a closed Cap1 account approximately 3-4 months after it was closed; however, I had to go through EO to make it happen (they were also able to perma-waive my AF).  I was very happy that they were able to help me with that, b/c if my Cap1 card had remained closed, I would have been very sad.  If your Cap1 card account hasn't been closed too long already, recommend that you try e-mailing EO to see if they would be willing to re-open, for you. 

Message 5 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@IrishPM wrote:

Never happened to me before but got a letter in the mail from Discover informing me they've closed my account...no explanation given in the letter but I called and spoke to customer service and they said Discover will close an account for inactivity...it's been about 9 months since I've used the card so that makes sense...i've been opting to use my American Express Blue Cash Preferred card for the cash back...the CSR did tell me that "technically" my account isn't closed and I can still use it...told me that if I simply charge a little each month I won't get another letter...so I'll split between the Amex and Discover each month for gas, groceries, etc.

Gas & ground transportation is Discover's 5% category next quarter (Jan-Mar), so maybe charge a few small things on it to make sure it's still open, and hit it for gas in Jan.

Message 6 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

VEry known fact op. I would at least charge a burger once in a while or maybe even a smoothie. That would hit the spot. They would make about 5cents each month off of you . Me personally/ I luv my Discover.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, all issuers will close a card for inactivity.  But my understanding was that most issuers allow a period of 18-24 months before they deem a card dormant.  Personally, for any card I want to keep open, I put the card into rotation if it hasn't had a charge in 12 months.  I've always figured that was safe.  But if it's true that Discover will deem an account dormant after only nine months of non-use, then I may need to revise my assumptions.  Then again, I don't think I let any of our Discover cards get unused for more than a month; too many good reasons to use them.

Chris.

Message 8 of 17
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear!!! It was quick. I thought it's at leas two years.

Ron.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double Cash Back means it hasn't gone unused since I got it.  I pretty much transferred all usage from Chase Freedom to this, and will likely do so until the Double Cash period is up next December.  I keep a gym membership and some small purchases on Chase to keep them happy. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.