cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card extra security Log in prompt?

tag
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

Discover card extra security Log in prompt?

I tried to pay my discover bill today and I was prompted after log in with the below pop up. Seriously? Now I don't feel comfortable logging in - and to be honest, I don't even know my moms birthdate. Anyone else face this when logging in?

In order to provide you with extra security ,we occasionally need to ask for additional information when you access you account online.
Please enter the information below to continue:
Exp.date:
(16 digits)
- - -
Exp.date:
(/mm/yyyy/)
/
CVV Code:
(3 digits)

Social Security Number:
(9 digits)
- -
Mother's Maiden Name:

Date of birth:
(/mm/dd/yyyy/)
- -
Mother Date of birth:
(/mm/dd/yyyy/)
- -
In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover card extra security Log in prompt?

Nevermind. I called discover and the first person I spoke with said it was fine, but when I spoke with web support they said it was a phishing virus. So, I'm having a scan run. I'm not easily fooled, but this one looked legit. Glad I called.
In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Message 2 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

I was going to say, I have logged in there hundreds of times in the last 2 months and have never seen that before.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow scary. This appeared in a pop up on the discover site when you tried logging in? The phishing virus could be programmed to pop up when you try to login to a financial website to make it seem legit.

I am pretty computer saavy working with them for a living, but that would have definitely tempted me. Although the thing that would make me suspicious is that is asking for a lot of personal info upfront.

If it was legit from Discover it would be asking for last 4 digits of the social instead of the full social, and I know mothers maiden name is a common security question, I am not sure if I used that as one of my discover questions, but I do know for a fact my mothers birthday is not used in any of my financial websites so that would have been a red flag.

Message 4 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FR +1

Im not giving that type of information to them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 17
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

It was actually showing up just AFTER logging in. It was a pop-up that was pasted over my account information. I could see my current balance just behind it. That's what threw me off. The person I spoke with said it's a popular phishing scam that attaches its self to financial institution websites and waits for you to log on, then they paste the logo on the top so it looks real. He said if I had waited a few minutes the pop up would have disappeared, but I couldn't find any way past it.

That's exactly what made me suspicious. I started typing in my info and then I was thinking this is quite an extensive amount of info they want. My 3 digit code on the back? my FULL sn? I backed out and called them. I work in I.T. for a living so I'm aware of the scams, but it really looked official.

In my wallet:

Message 6 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

AFTER you log in? Now that's even scarier.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 17
learnin113
Established Contributor

Wow, that was close, you could have been suckerrrreeeddd!!!

Message 8 of 17
Neuroelf
Visitor

Just started getting the same phishing message after logging on to the discover site. Discover confirms it is fraudulent. I log on to the site and then get "redirected" I tried a viral scan and spy bot - without success. Anyone know how to clean this mess up?

Message 9 of 17
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Discover has been advertising for almost 3-4 weeks now that they will be adding another level of security for login. I have seen that warning message (that it is coming in the future, not what you list here) every single time I've logged on to Discover's site for the past month. I would guess this is it.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.