Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card ficos?

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Discover card ficos?

Discover card offers fico scores from all three agencies for a fee and they say it is a service through Experian.  I thought Experian scores couldn't be purchased.  Is Discover card providing real scores or are they FAKOs or something else?  Anybody know about this?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover card ficos?

@lithium78 wrote:

Discover card offers fico scores from all three agencies for a fee and they say it is a service through Experian.  I thought Experian scores couldn't be purchased.  Is Discover card providing real scores or are they FAKOs or something else?  Anybody know about this?

What makes you say they are FICO scores?  Is that what Discover's service says?  If not, I would expect that they are FAKO scores. I bet if you look at the offer or T&C, it will identify what scores are being offered.  If it says FICO, then maybe they worked out a deal with EX.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 2 of 12
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

They are reselling Experian's FAKO Scores just like everyone else...

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Message 3 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lithium78 wrote:

That part is absolutely true. But  these scores are "Plus" scores not FICO scores. One way you can tell is the score range. From the Discover website: Credit scores are reported as a number, typically between 330 and 830

FICO scores range from 300-850.

Edited to add: Nowhere will you find the word "FICO" in the small print for the Discover Credit Score Tracker service.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If these Discover card scores were FICOs, I (we) would be all over them.

Message 5 of 12
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:

If these Discover card scores were FICOs, I (we) would be all over them.

me too. i might be a strong advocate of VantageScore's, but there would be nothing like having cheap accessability to ALL three fico scores.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 12
shane82388
Established Contributor

Call me crazy but somehow it seems wrong that they can charge you at all for something that they record and sell to other people about you that you never gave your consent to record...i dono.

Message 7 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

Call me crazy but somehow it seems wrong that they can charge you at all for something that they record and sell to other people about you that you never gave your consent to record...i dono.

You surely gave your consent.  They all have privacy policies that spell out how information is shared.  It's true that it is a take it or leave it arrangement, but that's just market realities at work. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 8 of 12
lithium78
Established Contributor

I don't understand how it can be legal to sell "credit scores" that aren't actually used by creditors.  That is fraud and should be outlawed.  People want real FICO scores so they can make informed decisions about their credit. 

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)

Message 9 of 12
minimock
Frequent Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

I don't understand how it can be legal to sell "credit scores" that aren't actually used by creditors.  That is fraud and should be outlawed.  People want real FICO scores so they can make informed decisions about their credit. 

While the majority of CC companies use FICO, there are a few that dont use it exclusively, for instance, Chase uses Vantage, or so I have read. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.