Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card with high credit limit.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Discover card with high credit limit.

Hi I have Discover card since 2016 started with cl of 9k and now have credit line of 25,500. The first year put about 30k of medical on it paid the balance off every month. Any time ask for credit increase got it with no problems. My income was 72k when I got the card. My Fico is 790 with total cl of 124,450 and total balance on all card 2.9k. I don't understand how Discover decides what cl to give out, thay have been nice to me. I do like Discover verry much.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover card with high credit limit.

I love Discover too. Nice job working the limit up like that 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 41
firefox100
Valued Contributor

I was reading couple of post wher some of guys said that Discover would not give increase at all. Thats why I don't understand discover is my highest cl. It is black box how creditcard co decide who and how much to give, you take Barclays I only have 12k on my ubercard and Cap one won't work with me stuck at 4.6k with QS after 10 years. Again like Discover ftry to get your cl up 25k, that would begood.

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firefox100 wrote:

Hi I have Discover card since 2016 started with cl of 9k and now have credit line of 25,500. The first year put about 30k of medical on it paid the balance off every month. Any time ask for credit increase got it with no problems. My income was 72k when I got the card. My Fico is 790 with total cl of 124,450 and total balance on all card 2.9k. I don't understand how Discover decides what cl to give out, thay have been nice to me. I do like Discover verry much.

My experience somewhat mirrors yours... started in 2016 with a $12,500 limit and now currently at $44,300.  The biggest difference is that my spend has been no where near yours.  I typically spend a few hundred bucks a cycle, depending on the rotating categories.  On a heavy month they'll see $500-$600 out of me maybe, where there are other months where I've spent literally $0 (even for a few months) if the category doesn't fit my spend.  I add in this data just so that people reading don't assume that your solid growth came because of your heavy spend.  I think spend is one of the factors that Discover considers the least in their CLI decisions personally.

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'm not sure how it works either, I asked Discover for a cli 2 days ago. They gave me $500.... from 3000 to 3500. Which I didnt understand because I have 4-5 cards with 10k+ limits and 2 cards at 20k+ and nfcu cloc 15k. I doubt it's due to it being a joint account with my wife. Both of our scores are 730+ and decent income. Might not have enough usage?
Message 5 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you read around on Discover you’ll see a lot of talk about how Disco likes to be your daily driver and often is a person’s first bigger-limit card, that thinner files are preferred, and that they may not necessarily want to compete with other high-limit cards. But for both of you, OP and BBS, that would not seem to be the case. Truly Disco is an enigma.
Message 6 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

We will never figure out Discover unless we get an insider there . Start grooming your next child so they may free us all!Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 41
firefox100
Valued Contributor

The 30K spend was in the first year on dental work inplants, I am lucky if I now spend 100 bucks month some times nothing on the card. If you don't mind what income do you have that you have 44K credit line with Discover. I got my last increase last december. When I do ask for an increase thay give me 5k at time.

Message 8 of 41
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Discover is one of my upper middle pack of cards. It doesn't see much usage. Maybe a hundred a month on average. Sometimes more than that depending on the categories. I still typically get a CLI every 90-120 days when I ask. I keep expecting them to cut me off, but not yet.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah I'm not sure how it works either, I asked Discover for a cli 2 days ago. They gave me $500.... from 3000 to 3500. Which I didnt understand because I have 4-5 cards with 10k+ limits and 2 cards at 20k+ and nfcu cloc 15k. I doubt it's due to it being a joint account with my wife. Both of our scores are 730+ and decent income. Might not have enough usage?

As I said in my previous reply, usage is a non-factor.  Many people have received large Discover CLIs with little to no usage.  More likely in your case Discover doesn't want to "compete" with your other higher limits.  They like to be Number One in your wallet and many have reported them stalling out on the CLIs if they feel they're not in a place to compete with larger limits.  This is one of the reasons why if someone only has a couple of cards or gets Discover first that they seem to have better than average success with CLIs.

ITD, while my file wasn't "thin" when I first got Discover, I only had one other CC at the time with a $3000 limit... so Discover was one of my first cards and they threw me a $12,500 limit out of the gate which was pretty strong.  I did have a previous $10k limit on my CR from a closed account though, so they could see that I had a decent limit in the past.  While I did pick up a few other cards at the same time I did Discover, they all for the most part grew at similar rates.  I'm still open to the idea that one may get bucketed with Discover early on and perhaps based on my circumstances when approved they've always had me in a favorable bucket.  Also, even though I had around a 730 score at the time of approval, I did have 4 dirty accounts on my CR (up to 120 days late), which is worth noting.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.