cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card with high credit limit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card with high credit limit.

I saw a YouTube video and the guy said if you use the card almost to the limit and pay it off they will keep giving you increases. Discover was my 3rd card. I tried it. I went within 100$ of the limit paid to off. In 2 months I got an increase. But when I request an increase I get denied. But now every 6 months I've gotten and increase of about 900$. I do spend about 500$ a month during certain categories.
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firefox100 wrote:

11 months is OK, but questions is what is your balance on your discover and how many payments did you make how much wher thay and how much do owe on all your account and what is your utilization.

These questions are fine to ask, but may or may not have any bearing at all on a CLI. 

11 months of time being with Discover is plenty long enough to obtain a CLI.  Most people report their first CLI in 3-4 months time from account opening if they request one.

Message 22 of 41
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Hi hope comes out having problem with screen reader. I would not push it with a charge off on your credit file wate 2 more years for it to come off your credit rreport. Good to know that Discover would open account and grant credit with a charge off on cr nost other banks would not give credit with charge off showing. It show that Discover wants to grow and open lot of accounts.

Message 23 of 41
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As I said in my previous reply, usage is a non-factor.  Many people have received large Discover CLIs with little to no usage.  More likely in your case Discover doesn't want to "compete" with your other higher limits.  They like to be Number One in your wallet and many have reported them stalling out on the CLIs if they feel they're not in a place to compete with larger limits.  This is one of the reasons why if someone only has a couple of cards or gets Discover first that they seem to have better than average success with CLIs.

I agree, BBS.  Not sure that usage/spend has much or anything to do with the limits that they give us.  My Discover CL is a crazy $73,700, however I put no more than about $50 to $100 on the card each month.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 24 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big congrats @EW800 on your triple lindySmiley Happy 850 x 3 is BOSS, 73K with Disco is LEGENDARYSmiley Wink
Message 25 of 41
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thank you, AJC! It does feel good to have these great scores following the long recovery. I didn’t expect the 850X3, but it just kind of fell in line having the long history, extremely low Util and an open car loan that is under 3% or so. Thanks for your kind words.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EW800 wrote:

I agree, BBS.  Not sure that usage/spend has much or anything to do with the limits that they give us.  My Discover CL is a crazy $73,700, however I put no more than about $50 to $100 on the card each month.  

Excellent data above that I'll remember going forward to reference when the topic of Discover spend and CLI chances being [un] related comes up.  Both of us don't even use 1% of our limit and get strong CLIs, which proves that a strong spend isn't necessary.

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three years ago I was forced to shut down every card. That or bankruptcy. I did it, it HURT!
The cards killed me after I did it. My credit score plummeted to 620. Fast-forward.. Got a second job. Chiseled away at each one, and made a big decision.
I decided to file a lemon law suit against GM.
Risky but the three year old car was crap. Did the Pa research and WON!
No lawyer involvement.
My terms were put me in a brand new car, with only a slight increase in monthly payment, and (the BIGGEST request )pay off the remaining 8 grand on the car.
THEY DID!
My credit score went up about 70 points. Only because I took on another car payment and paid for about 3 months on time.
Finally retrieved a new discover card 7 months ago. 2000 dollar spending limit. They just increased me 500 today for excellent credit reporting. My fico is around 713. My trans and Equifax are around 746. I just got pre approved for two American express cards. An everyday and blue card.
I am picking one because if they outright approve my score again will climb around 10 to 13 points immediately.
Just bought my first house at 53.
Also 22 years clean and off the streets.
I make this post because I used to cry reading posts like this. I wanted to be you guys so bad!
I was always happy for you people because you're responsible and you care.
Today, I guess I kinda fit in too?
There is always hope! With hard work anything is possible.
One thing, what is the average credit line increase, when discover gives you one?
Thanks
Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
We will never figure out Discover unless we get an insider there . Start grooming your next child so they may free us all!Smiley Happy

Let's do a US Army Special Forces recon ... get you in under the wire and spy . spy . spySmiley Embarassed  Oh, take your Oregano with so if they start sniffing around for a mole, you can give them the scent! smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mg5051 congrats on your successful rebuild!

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.