cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card with high credit limit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card with high credit limit.

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing, what is the average credit line increase, when discover gives you one?

Average?  Maybe in the $1000-$2000 range.  It's profile-specific of course.  The typical range we see is $500-$5000 though, with only a few outlier examples that don't fall into that range.

Message 31 of 41
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Discover card with high credit limit.

When I got my Discover in July of 2018, they gave me $2.1K and then they just gave me $500 more and after a couple of months it's now $3.1K. I had a $1.5K bill and slowly been paying off but I noticed that if you keep using it, they will increase overtime. I never asked for a credit limit increase.

US Bank offered me credit limit increase but now I guess cause I update my income, they want proof but I just started the new job and I couldn't get the stubs in time for the promo to end. Oh well, I know they will give me an offer again. But, it's whatever I don't really need an credit limit increase anyway. It's good to have but not necessary.
Message 32 of 41
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Hi Just now I called Citibank to ask for cl increase on myKRe: Discover card with high credit limit.

@TheBoondocks wrote:
When I got my Discover in July of 2018, they gave me $2.1K and then they just gave me $500 more and after a couple of months it's now $3.1K. I had a $1.5K bill and slowly been paying off but I noticed that if you keep using it, they will increase overtime. I never asked for a credit limit increase.

US Bank offered me credit limit increase but now I guess cause I update my income, they want proof but I just started the new job and I couldn't get the stubs in time for the promo to end. Oh well, I know they will give me an offer again. But, it's whatever I don't really need an credit limit increase anyway. It's good to have but not necessary.

Message 33 of 41
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Re: Hi Just now I called Citibank to ask for cl increase on myKRe: Discover card with high credit li

Hi I called Citi bank to day to ask for credit line increase on my Mastercard the limit was 11.6K the last cl increase was back in December went from 9.6K to 11.6K. Auto cl increase with soft pull thay gave me 2K increase to 13.6K, Spend on card is about 250 month. Citi bank never reports balance, because I pay off vefore it reports to cr's. I may call Discover today to see if I can increase on my card the limit is 27K the last increase was about 6 weeks ago when I got 1500 increase from 25.5K. I have no balance on the card. This is why I don't like Cap One quick silver because I am stuck at 4.7K don't umderstand Cap one, other banks have no problem giving increases. If the moderator's want to move this post some wher else that is Ok with me.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hi Just now I called Citibank to ask for cl increase on myKRe: Discover card with high credit li

@firefox100

What's the urgent need to climb higher?

It seems a bit back and forth of wanting one and needing one.  Large expendatures are in the past now and you're doing minimal spend of a 100/mo according to one post.  You're making progress with incremential increases but, the most important factor to getting them is TIME.  

With some of the lenders it's a game of time and spend.  Disco loves low spend for giving out higher limits. Cap1 is greedy and want your to put a ring on it every month.  Citi.... they just do their own thing and throw you 2K every 6 months.

If you're not willing to play the game with the rules we know about from here then it's a waste of effort and time.  If someone is trying to help they're probably been right where you are at some point.

Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last few times I've requested a CLI, it's only been $500. So I passed waiting for the big one, but this last time I finally accepted it so that I could someday reach an even amount! Seriously, $200 under an even $18K? **bleep** So now at least I'm over by $300. lol

At this rate it could take some time to reach an even amount, or even get to $20K.

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP never answered that question. I suspect the answer isn’t good. Banks will catch on. Some too late.

Message 37 of 41
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP never answered that question. I suspect the answer isn’t good. Banks will catch on. Some too late.

You have no factual basis for that statement

The quest for higher limits is the most common theme around here.  Insinuating that if somebody wants higher limits must indicate some kind of financial distress is ridiculous. 

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The quest for higher limits is the most common theme around here.  Insinuating that if somebody wants higher limits must indicate some kind of financial distress is ridiculous. 

Actually I read several of his post, so that’s my “factual” basis for that statement. What’s “ridiculous” is you saying that it’s a common theme around here, therefore it can’t be what I said. Both things can be true. Did you consider that?

also I didn’t make a general statement about everyone seeking higher limits.

Message 39 of 41
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually I read several of his post, so that’s my “factual” basis for that statement. What’s “ridiculous” is you saying that it’s a common theme around here, therefore it can’t be what I said. Both things can be true. Did you consider that?

also I didn’t make a general statement about everyone seeking higher limits.

Okay. Please link to  posts indicating financial distress and whatever is it that you think banks will "catch on"

Here is the original post, I even used color on relevant parts, showing total CL and utilization. I'll wait. 

Hi I have Discover card since 2016 started with cl of 9k and now have credit line of 25,500. The first year put about 30k of medical on it paid the balance off every month. Any time ask for credit increase got it with no problems. My income was 72k when I got the card. My Fico is 790 with total cl of 124,450 and total balance on all card 2.9k. I don't understand how Discover decides what cl to give out, thay have been nice to me. I do like Discover verry much.

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.