Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card

tag
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover card

I started off at $10k. They like usage, on time payments, and paying well more than the minimum. I'm at $15k one year after getting the card.

I am not happy with the APR though and have only used it to pay Netflix just to keep it active. They're my highest at 21.99%. I might play chicken with them to see if they will lower the APR. The 0% intro was a beautiful honeymoon though.
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 11 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody, really hepful.

Message 12 of 46
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

In addition to liking to see usage, they are okay with and perhaps even favor carrying balances. I've had my Discover card for ~20 years and they've given me CLIs when my util was in th 40% range. My util with them has been as high as 65-70% and it's never worried them. During this time, I've received many CLIs and a few of the little "gifts" Discover likes to surprise its customers with. They've lowered my APR and given me their special bonus deals (currently 0% interest for a year + double cashback).

I've always paid well above the minimum (at least 2X and usually 3 or 4x). That probably helps, too.

They're not one of those lenders like Amex or Chase that can get jumpy over normal activity.

Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

In addition to liking to see usage, they are okay with and perhaps even favor carrying balances. I've had my Discover card for ~20 years and they've given me CLIs when my util was in th 40% range. My util with them has been as high as 65-70% and it's never worried them. During this time, I've received many CLIs and a few of the little "gifts" Discover likes to surprise its customers with. They've lowered my APR and given me their special bonus deals (currently 0% interest for a year + double cashback).

I've always paid well above the minimum (at least 2X and usually 3 or 4x). That probably helps, too.

They're not one of those lenders like Amex or Chase that can get jumpy over normal activity.

Thanks, a lot for info.

Message 14 of 46
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What behaviour does Discover like from its cardholders?   PIF or leave a balance,  utilization , etc.  How often do they auto CLI? Appreciate any suggestions, just starting out with them. 

Do not rely solely on usage.  CLI's are primarily determined based on what one's credit -- not just one or two factors but one's entire credit profile -- and income qualify for.

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

The board here has a lot of info that the Discover gravy train is over, but I've found that isn't true. I've gotten two soft pull increases on my Discover, which has only been open since late June. And two increases in one 30 day period of time, so it isn't true you have to wait 90 days either.

I always PIF. I've never gotten an auto CLI, but have requested increases online using a soft pull. I put a few hundred dollars on the card every month.

Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

the gravy train is technically over but there are still some members getting good CLIs often. but the vast majority is over.
Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think theres a misconception about the gravy train. It seems to be over for members like myself who got 6 increases within like 3 months. But if you're just starting with Discover increases thats different. At least thats how I see it from reading lots of posts here on the subject. Smiley Very Happy Train might still be rolling for others but we've exhausted our love!
Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

i haven't been welcomed to it unfortunately. lol
Message 19 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

My experience differs slightly from most of the accounts here.

When I do use the card, I don't recall CLIs or "additional" enticements.  When I don't use them (3 or 4 months of zero activity), I've received a couple CLIs and various minor enticements.  I've always PIF, never carried a balance, and can't recall ever using the card for anything but the 5% categories.  They've lowered my APR, but I think it's still something like 13.99%.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.