Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cashback fail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover cashback fail

Charges during first week of July on Discover IT following activation of 5% restaurant bonus category did not result in accumulation of Cashback bonus. Customer services says they should have, is crediting the account for the missing bonus -- and they have no idea why it didn't work as it should.

Previous bonuses (and redemptions) have been credited (debited) correctly.

So I guess I need to watch them so they don't screw up and try to cheat me again.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover cashback fail

@Anonymous wrote:

Charges during first week of July on Discover IT following activation of 5% restaurant bonus category did not result in accumulation of Cashback bonus. Customer services says they should have, is crediting the account for the missing bonus -- and they have no idea why it didn't work as it should.

So I guess I need to watch them so they don't screw up and try to cheat me again.

Glad you caught it, but I'm sure it was a glitch and they weren't trying to cheat you.

Message 2 of 15
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really doubt they tried to cheat you.   It was some kind of a glich and they are making it right. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 3 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad you caught it, but I'm sure it was a glitch and they weren't trying to cheat you.

+1

For all their flaws, Discover isn't known for trying to cheat people out of rewards, and when something weird does come up they are usually quick to remedy the situation.

When my account was still new I used a 'Discover Deal' at JCPenney for an online order that got lost.  My local store had the item in stock, so they refunded my online order and re-billed my card for the exact same amount to give me the item off the shelf.  Discover's computer saw the refund (but not the second purchase of the same amount) and clawed-back my Discover Deal (not surprisingly), but a quick online chat cleared things up with no hassle.

Seeing them 'in action' actually gave me confidence that if something were to ever come up again they will make it right.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I truly love Discover. They have great customer service - and getting it right - is important to Discover. They are not out to cheat any one...

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CGeorge wrote:

Yes, I truly love Discover. They have great customer service - and getting it right - is important to Discover. They are not out to cheat any one...

I completely agree.

Message 6 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Just place the blame with the "software programmer", everyone always does anyway.  Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 15
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Yes, they always do blame the programmer - I know that from experience!

Message 8 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, when did you activate the quarterly category, relative to these charges.
Were any dining charges in mid-July already getting the category correctly?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

Just place the blame with the "software programmer", everyone always does anyway.  Smiley LOL

Back in time we used to say: "garbage in and garbage out" Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.