Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cashback match 420.00!

tag
vic6string
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover cashback match 420.00!

@outofcredit wrote:

Just an FYI, Discover also matches the referral bonuses you get for the friends or family that are approved with your referral link.  That's how I claimed an extra $200 of CB match.  YMMV

I had no idea they matched the referals! I need to go make some facebook posts and send some emails! This card really is one of the best kept secrets in the credit card game.

Message 21 of 24
outofcredit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's amazing I wish I racked up that much. I've spent close to 3k on my secured discover and I haven't racked up that much. I called customer service and they told me that the secured cards aren't eligible for the 5%.

The secured cards aren't issued as the 5% rotating category card but you can go on chat or call and request that your card be product changed to the 5% IT card after your first statement cuts.  It takes about a statement before the change takes effect.  I started with the secured version and called in after my first statement to request the change.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@outofcredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's amazing I wish I racked up that much. I've spent close to 3k on my secured discover and I haven't racked up that much. I called customer service and they told me that the secured cards aren't eligible for the 5%.

The secured cards aren't issued as the 5% rotating category card but you can go on chat or call and request that your card be product changed to the 5% IT card after your first statement cuts.  It takes about a statement before the change takes effect.  I started with the secured version and called in after my first statement to request the change.

I didn't know you could product change this early. Did you lose your security desposit when you changed ?

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Where can one find the rules to said game lol

The rule is simply "spend a lot in the first year" (as much as possible on the 5% categories on IT, doesn't matter on Miles).   If you max out each quarter on the IT, you will get a $300 cashback match (for a total of $600).   And then a 1% match on other spending on the IT or 1.5% match on Miles.

Be more creative.  You have a year for the matching.  This means 5 quarters are potentially available, depending on when you open the card.

For example, if you opened an account now, you have 6-7 weeks left on Q1 grocery spend, then Q2, Q3, Q4 spend, then 6-7 weeks on Q1 2021 spend.  If you max out both Q1s and the other Qs, that's potentially $375 in category spend with $375 matching for $750.  

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.