cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover closed account

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Established Contributor

Discover closed account

I switched over to a Discover it in January and haven't used the card yet.  I got a notice today that they closed the account due to inactivity, and that the account cannot be reopened.  Wow, that was quick!  I had opened accounts with AmEx and Barclay (Arrival+) and was putting my monthly spend on those to meet the bonus limits and just hadn't gotten around to using the Discover card.  I am SO surprised they did this, and the notice only arrived in my inbox today on their site, but it says this occurred back on April 1st.  Way to let me know right away.  LOL!

 

So, if my credit report shows closed by them, does that reflect badly?  Can't wait to see this hit my report.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover closed account


@disdreamin wrote:

I switched over to a Discover it in January and haven't used the card yet.  I got a notice today that they closed the account due to inactivity, and that the account cannot be reopened.  Wow, that was quick!  I had opened accounts with AmEx and Barclay (Arrival+) and was putting my monthly spend on those to meet the bonus limits and just hadn't gotten around to using the Discover card.  I am SO surprised they did this, and the notice only arrived in my inbox today on their site, but it says this occurred back on April 1st.  Way to let me know right away.  LOL!

 

So, if my credit report shows closed by them, does that reflect badly?  Can't wait to see this hit my report.


The part where it was closed after three months with no payments or use might reflect badly. The part where it was closed by them probably won't matter. I'm not all that shocked that this happened. I would expect a CCC to close a card that had never been used much faster than they would one that just hadn't been used in a while, but had money crossing it before. 

EX: 800+; EQ: 800+; TU: 800+ --> Entered the garden on 11/15/14. Planning on leaving around 1/1/17.
Message 2 of 17
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover closed account


@disdreamin wrote:

I switched over to a Discover it in January and haven't used the card yet.  I got a notice today that they closed the account due to inactivity, and that the account cannot be reopened.  Wow, that was quick!  I had opened accounts with AmEx and Barclay (Arrival+) and was putting my monthly spend on those to meet the bonus limits and just hadn't gotten around to using the Discover card.  I am SO surprised they did this, and the notice only arrived in my inbox today on their site, but it says this occurred back on April 1st.  Way to let me know right away.  LOL!

 

So, if my credit report shows closed by them, does that reflect badly?  Can't wait to see this hit my report.


That is quick!    A few "Closed by Issuer" should be fine (it's bad if you have a lot in a short space of time, especially from different issuers).  Doesn't impact score at all, just on manual review.

 

Message 3 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover closed account

I'm surprised that you are surprised.



Message 4 of 17
Moderator

Re: Discover closed account

I know barclay's in their T&C say they will close an account that has been inactive for 3 months.. Obviously peoples results vary with various creditors.  Cap1 is known never to close a card and others as soon as three months.

Chase | Citibank | Amex | BofA | PenFed | NFCU | Discover | Fifth Third Bank | BB&T | Synovus | Commerce
Message 5 of 17
Established Contributor

Re: Discover closed account

Not surpised, I had a Dell finance account that I hadnt used in about 6 months close without warning. Discover on the other hand, I had periods where I didn't use it for more then a year and it didn't close. It seems very much a YMMV thing.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 17
Super Contributor

Re: Discover closed account


@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I know barclay's in their T&C say they will close an account that has been inactive for 3 months.. Obviously peoples results vary with various creditors.  Cap1 is known never to close a card and others as soon as three months.


+1 another reason why I keep my cap one. I know many carne h8trs.

Message 7 of 17
Super Contributor

Re: Discover closed account

Wow that's an awfully short period of time to close your card.
Message 8 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover closed account

Well I am suprised this happened. I don't know of any card closing for 3 months inactivity. Really surprised to hear about this. I mean, a year or two? Yeah. 3 months? Unheard of. 

Message 9 of 17
Super Contributor

Re: Discover closed account


@JSS3 wrote:

Well I am suprised this happened. I don't know of any card closing for 3 months non activity. Really surprised to hear about this. I mean, a year or two? Yeah. 3 months? Unheard of. 


It's different if you  used  card once. But to never  use after activating that is not shock. 

Message 10 of 17