Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

There's a gas station near me that I've been using for years. The last two times I've tried to use my Discover as contactless in the store, it declines. I insert the chip and everything goes through normal. All my other contactless cards work fine at the same terminal in this fashion.

The first time, I used a different card after the decline and signed into Discover and there was a $1.00 pending from the failed transaction. (Which never turned into a purchase.)

Anyone else having issues lately?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dacv01
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

A few of the businesses I work with have mentioned the same concerns with the terminals- varies from  card carrier. Has to do with alot of POS companies changing/extending contracts regarding fees due to covid. Had my Amex tapless decline at store, chip transaction went through no problem. Just feedback on east coast... 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 2 of 12
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

For what it's worth, I went to a boutique in an outlet (to set the stage) in the midwest, they had two terminals at the POS. One terminal would accept contactless, the other would error out. I don't know how this helps but it's another point of how unsmooth contactless still is in the US.
Message 3 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Sorry, can't help. Didn't even know my Discover was contactless. Lol

Message 4 of 12
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

There's a gas station near me that I've been using for years. The last two times I've tried to use my Discover as contactless in the store, it declines. I insert the chip and everything goes through normal. All my other contactless cards work fine at the same terminal in this fashion.

The first time, I used a different card after the decline and signed into Discover and there was a $1.00 pending from the failed transaction. (Which never turned into a purchase.)

Anyone else having issues lately?

This happened to me several times at a local supermarket.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 5 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's a vending machine I routinely use where my WF Propel Amex does the same thing. 

I even get an email from WF that the (contactless) transaction was declined, yet when I insert the card in the same machine it works.  When I use my Propel on that machine though Samsung Pay it also works.  All my other cards that have contactless work with no issues there. 

It's the only place I've had the problem with that card (or any other card, for that matter) so I've not bothered to call about it. 

Message 6 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's a vending machine I routinely use where my WF Propel Amex does the same thing. 

I even get an email from WF that the (contactless) transaction was declined, yet when I insert the card in the same machine it works.  When I use my Propel on that machine though Samsung Pay it also works.  All my other cards that have contactless work with no issues there. 

It's the only place I've had the problem with that card (or any other card, for that matter) so I've not bothered to call about it. 

Yeah, stay on the topic @UncleB 

#whenyourefiredbuthaventbeentoldyet

Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Yeah, stay on the topic @UncleB 

#whenyourefiredbuthaventbeentoldyet

Smiley Embarassed  Smiley Very Happy  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 8 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Okay, so I looked and my Discover is not contactless. 

I could ask for a new card, but they would probably say I have insufficient experience with my current card. 

Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

Okay, so I looked and my Discover is not contactless. 

I could ask for a new card, but they would probably say I have insufficient experience with my current card

This ^^^ just made me literally laugh out-loud.  🤣

I'm due a new card next month so I'll be getting contactless soon enough.  They were nice enough to send me an email a couple of months ago asking if I wanted a new design, but I decided to just stick with the old boring blue.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.