cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

ChargedUp
Valued Contributor

Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

There's a gas station near me that I've been using for years. The last two times I've tried to use my Discover as contactless in the store, it declines. I insert the chip and everything goes through normal. All my other contactless cards work fine at the same terminal in this fashion.

 

The first time, I used a different card after the decline and signed into Discover and there was a $1.00 pending from the failed transaction. (Which never turned into a purchase.)

 

Anyone else having issues lately?

AODFCU 3% Visa ($10K), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($29.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($15K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($13K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K), PNC Cash Rewards ($9.5K)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dacv01
Contributor

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

A few of the businesses I work with have mentioned the same concerns with the terminals- varies from  card carrier. Has to do with alot of POS companies changing/extending contracts regarding fees due to covid. Had my Amex tapless decline at store, chip transaction went through no problem. Just feedback on east coast... 



FICO: 620 Exp, 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 6 years, 11 months as of August 2020
Message 2 of 12
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

For what it's worth, I went to a boutique in an outlet (to set the stage) in the midwest, they had two terminals at the POS. One terminal would accept contactless, the other would error out. I don't know how this helps but it's another point of how unsmooth contactless still is in the US.

Message 3 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

Sorry, can't help. Didn't even know my Discover was contactless. Lol




Message 4 of 12
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval


@ChargedUp wrote:

There's a gas station near me that I've been using for years. The last two times I've tried to use my Discover as contactless in the store, it declines. I insert the chip and everything goes through normal. All my other contactless cards work fine at the same terminal in this fashion.

 

The first time, I used a different card after the decline and signed into Discover and there was a $1.00 pending from the failed transaction. (Which never turned into a purchase.)

 

Anyone else having issues lately?


This happened to me several times at a local supermarket.









Message 5 of 12
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's a vending machine I routinely use where my WF Propel Amex does the same thing. 

 

I even get an email from WF that the (contactless) transaction was declined, yet when I insert the card in the same machine it works.  When I use my Propel on that machine though Samsung Pay it also works.  All my other cards that have contactless work with no issues there. 

 

It's the only place I've had the problem with that card (or any other card, for that matter) so I've not bothered to call about it. 

 

 

Message 6 of 12
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval


@UncleB wrote:

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's a vending machine I routinely use where my WF Propel Amex does the same thing. 

 

I even get an email from WF that the (contactless) transaction was declined, yet when I insert the card in the same machine it works.  When I use my Propel on that machine though Samsung Pay it also works.  All my other cards that have contactless work with no issues there. 

 

It's the only place I've had the problem with that card (or any other card, for that matter) so I've not bothered to call about it. 

 

 


Yeah, stay on the topic @UncleB 

 

#whenyourefiredbuthaventbeentoldyet

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 7 of 12
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval


@Remedios wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there's a vending machine I routinely use where my WF Propel Amex does the same thing. 

 

I even get an email from WF that the (contactless) transaction was declined, yet when I insert the card in the same machine it works.  When I use my Propel on that machine though Samsung Pay it also works.  All my other cards that have contactless work with no issues there. 

 

It's the only place I've had the problem with that card (or any other card, for that matter) so I've not bothered to call about it. 

 

 


Yeah, stay on the topic @UncleB 

 

#whenyourefiredbuthaventbeentoldyet


Smiley Embarassed  Smiley Very Happy  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 8 of 12
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval

Okay, so I looked and my Discover is not contactless. 

I could ask for a new card, but they would probably say I have insufficient experience with my current card. 

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Discover contactless decline/Chip approval


@Remedios wrote:

Okay, so I looked and my Discover is not contactless. 

I could ask for a new card, but they would probably say I have insufficient experience with my current card


This ^^^ just made me literally laugh out-loud.  🤣

 

I'm due a new card next month so I'll be getting contactless soon enough.  They were nice enough to send me an email a couple of months ago asking if I wanted a new design, but I decided to just stick with the old boring blue.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.