Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover has a card breach occurring today

tag
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Re: Discover has a card breach occurring today

Thanks for the notice.  No fruad on my Discover card. Though my Synchrony Amazon had a $50 fraud charge yesterday.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 21 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My Discover is clean aside from my wife ordering from Amazon....

Message 22 of 31
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

My Discover is clean aside from my wife ordering from Amazon....

Ha, this reminds me of the joke about the guy whose wife's credit card was stolen. He later told a friend that he didn't even report it because "...the thief is spending less on the credit card than my wife was!"

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ricky_D  I had a similar experience.  I received a text alert from Chase fraud prevention asking if I made a purchase of $0.32 at "Daisy Days" and I had not. The transaction was blocked and my credit card was cancelled, Chase is in the process of sending me a new one. I reached out to their fraud team and asked them to provide more information regarding the merchant/recipient "Daisy Days" and here is what they shared:

• Merchant name - Daisy Days
  • Merchant type - EATING PLACES AND RESTAURANTS
  • Transaction location - Shoals, IN
  • Transaction date - 11/05/2020
  • Amount - $0.32

I Googled "Daisy Days" + Shoals, IN and I found no businesses matching that name in that city but thankfully I did find your post.  If you haven't already, I encourage you to submit a complaint at www.ic3.gov Considering your Discover and my Chase cards were involved, it's possible that our data was breached at some other merchant/third party.  

Message 24 of 31
Ricky_D
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ricky_D  I had a similar experience.  I received a text alert from Chase fraud prevention asking if I made a purchase of $0.32 at "Daisy Days" and I had not. The transaction was blocked and my credit card was cancelled, Chase is in the process of sending me a new one. I reached out to their fraud team and asked them to provide more information regarding the merchant/recipient "Daisy Days" and here is what they shared:

• Amount - $0.32

I Googled "Daisy Days" + Shoals, IN and I found no businesses matching that name in that city but thankfully I did find your post.  If you haven't already, I encourage you to submit a complaint at www.ic3.gov Considering your Discover and my Chase cards were involved, it's possible that our data was breached at some other merchant/third party.  

Thanks for the info. Will do on the complaint. 

Since your card is Chase, and the charge amount was small like mine on Discover on 11/5, I think someone used an algorithm to generate card numbers, submit to processors, see what sticks, hoping cardholders don't notice an under a dollar charge, and later go on a shopping spree. As far as a merchant breach, I only made two online purchases this year with my card. 

Message 25 of 31
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Ricky_D wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• Amount - $0.32

Thanks for the info. Will do on the complaint. 

Since your card is Chase, and the charge amount was small like mine on Discover on 11/5, I think someone used an algorithm to generate card numbers, submit to processors, see what sticks, hoping cardholders don't notice an under a dollar charge, and later go on a shopping spree. As far as a merchant breach, I only made two online purchases this year with my card. 

How many transactions you've made is irrelevant if merchant had a breach, because one is enough.  

I'm not sure what the complaint would've about since you've suffered no monetary loss, you're not responsible for payment on attempted fraudulent charges, and you've received a notice. 

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
I'm not sure what the complaint would've about since you've suffered no monetary loss, you're not responsible for payment on attempted fraudulent charges, and you've received a notice. 

Assuming that there was a breach somewhere, that would have occurred online which falls under the purview of the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).  Even if you have not suffered financial loss, you have suffered the loss of your privacy.  All too often fraudsters are able to get away with even their failed attempts at victimizing people so it's important that citizens and consumers are always reporting any time their information is compromised, again, regardless of any financial loss.  

Message 27 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Assuming that there was a breach somewhere, that would have occurred online which falls under the purview of the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).  Even if you have not suffered financial loss, you have suffered the loss of your privacy.  All too often fraudsters are able to get away with even their failed attempts at victimizing people so it's important that citizens and consumers are always reporting any time their information is compromised, again, regardless of any financial loss.  

Or not.   I would really like law enforcement agencies to concentrate on more important matters (political and social bias can fill in your own examples).   And as for lost of privacy, a credit card number that is quickly changed, don't see that as something I want too much time spent on

Message 28 of 31
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Breaches happen daily.

If you were informed, they would be, too. 

But, if it makes you feel better, you go for it, as long as you understand you're never getting the time back it's going to take you to fill out complaint against..not sure exactly whom 

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios It took less than 3 minutes and less time than you took to reply back to me twice. Considering fraud is a $4 billion industry, I'm happy to provide even the smallest of breadcrumbs to the folks doing the heavy lifting of investigating financial crimes. 

@longtimelurker No matter how small the fraud may seem, it always leads back to something much more nefarious.  So while it may seem like the same old breach we hear about, it is useful to collect data, make connections, and maybe it helps in the end.  Maybe not, I will never know but we can't fight fraud without knowledge sharing.  

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.