Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover in giving mood barclays meh

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Discover in giving mood barclays meh

So im considering options want to add to my line up. Considering CSP but on the fence. Already posed the info in credit apps section, but as part of my process
i figured it was time to call Barclays and discover and see if they wanted to give me some love. Barclays only offered a lower apr on purchases starting next statement, ok i took it 17 to 12% asked about soft pull cli they said no all cli requests are hard pulls- i didnt press the issue they have done soft in the past but it appears it may have changed. I declined hp because they always give me 0% bt offters for 3% +/-
So i tried discover they transferred me to bt dept first offered 0% for 12 months w. 3%fee or 18 mo @5%said i would be interested in 0% but would like a lil longer so they put me hold for a min to see what they can do, come back and say cant extend it beyond 12 but could drop the fee to 2% so i passed and asked if they could do anything on my reg purchase apr? They transfer me again, ask what i am lookin to do, said lower my apr because i have some larger purchases coming up and want to spread out the payments some, ok great i can def help you with that how does 0% for 12 months for all purchases starting tomorrow sound? Great ok done you will get confirmation in the mail but this will be effective for purchases starting tomorrow.
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover in giving mood barclays meh

Nice.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Message 2 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I may give it a try, 5% on groceries is Jan 1-Mar 31, my most useful 5% category. My Disco card gets no lovin' this quarter, I don't shop at either Amazon or wholesale clubs.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I could live without the convenience of Amazon.

Message 4 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

not could i already place 7 different order today from them Smiley Happy...

Discover on the other hand I could completly live without their headache and to some they are giving and other they are very ungiving

Message 5 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is convenient but you definitely have to watch prices. I have found many items are cheaper via Target or Walmart (who do not require a membership fee). Costco also, which does require a $60 fee, still half of what Prime costs. So convenience does have a cost (on top of the $120 a year prime fee). Idk, just think Amazon is getting too greedy at this point. So my Discover isn't getting used terribly much other than for a few gifts.

More on topic I have found Discover pretty generous. It's just a shame I really don't have much use for the categories sometimes, but groceries will be fine next quarter.

Message 6 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is convenient but you definitely have to watch prices. I have found many items are cheaper via Target or Walmart (who do not require a membership fee). Costco also, which does require a $60 fee, still half of what Prime costs. So convenience does have a cost (on top of the $120 a year prime fee). Idk, just think Amazon is getting too greedy at this point. So my Discover isn't getting used terribly much other than for a few gifts.

More on topic I have found Discover pretty generous. It's just a shame I really don't have much use for the categories sometimes, but groceries will be fine next quarter.

Earlier this year I got free 3 months of Prime via an Amex deal. I think I bought 1 or 2 things, and as for Prime Video I'd spend 5-10 minutes looking for something I'd want to watch and give up and go back to TV or a movie from my Blu-ray collection. Prime is a hundred twenty bucks now??? No thanks! I buy more online from Walmart, free site to store shipping on any order & any price, and occasionally Target, free shipping to home on any order & price with Red Debit card. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that you need to watch the prices on Amazon and be smart about what you buy.  Not everything is a great deal of course.  You also have to put a price on convenience.  If something costs $30 at a store 15-20 minutes from me, but it's $32 on Amazon, it's honestly not worth 30-40 minutes of my time to save $2.  To me, having the product on my door step in 2 days is worth $2 and saving 30-40 minutes in this example.  Of course, those numbers and what something is "worth" is going to be different for everyone.

Things that cost $5-$10+ more on Amazon?  I agree and I more than likely don't pull the trigger on those.  I do find a bunch of products on Amazon though like pet food for example that's actually cheaper than I can get it elsewhere and I don't have to waste the time going to get it or lug it in the house.

Message 8 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Don't want to derail this post but OK, I placed an order on Amazon. I saw on Doctor of Credit that today & tomorrow Amazon is offering a 20% discount if you use Amex MR points so I ordered 4 bluray movies - Matrix Revolutions & Diehard 4k UltraHD, and two old but goodie westerns, Rooster Cogburn & The Hanging Tree. Had to use my Everyday card instead of Disco, 20% discount is better than 5% rewards.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

There you go... way to give Amazon a shot Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.