Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is a strange bird

tag
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Discover is a strange bird

So I app'd and received a Discover card in Nov 2008. I had an online transfer offer of 3.9% for some period of time. Then in February, that offer changed to 9.99%. Ouch! So my pattern had been to use it up to about the limit each month and make several payments during the month. I decided to put my trip on there for $2400, which only leaves me a $600 available limit. I intend to pay it before the statement cuts on the 18th, but now when I look at my offers, I have a 1.99% and a 3.99% available. So when I had more available credit, the balance transfer was less lucrative. I wouldn't be surprised if after I pay this in a week or so, my offer will jump back to the 9.99%.

Are they the only ones that charge a 4% transfer fee? But they do cap at $150.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover is a strange bird

In terms of the balance transfer rate changing, that happened to me also. I got the card June 2008 then I think in Nov it changed to 9.99 and after my statement cut it went to 1.99.  I think what happens is, when you first get your card the 3.9 is a promotional rate for a set period of time. Once that time passes you are automatically changed to the 9.99%. I think after that time your account is reviewed and changed to the better rate ( new offer).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.