cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is what Amex was 2 years ago... The Card to HAVE!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover is what Amex was 2 years ago... The Card to HAVE!

Last month Business week did an article on Discover Card (I'm a little behind on my magazines because of moving and stuff)  Anyway... they actually showed profit last year over people like citi who saw losses of 40%.

They also flagged borrowers who had more than 1 mortgage and either didn't give them a card or kept there limit low which has saved them now also.

and made there rewards better.

I have recently paid my business Discover off (bt offer was on it) and have started using and like it, I just can't get the limit to move which irritates me... but I'm thinking maybe after 6 months of the card being used and pif vs maxed out they will look at me better (well my mom I guess I should say, the card is in her name and I am named manager on the account, which allows me to make all decisions on the account just as account owner. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Discover is what Amex was 2 years ago... The Card to HAVE!

It is one card I dont have. I'll wait another year and then apply for a Discover to complete my card collection,
Message 2 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I like my Discover card for 5% back at the pump and for all the discounts at shopdiscover.com.

The customer service is also great. I just wish they would quit slashing rewards to save money. They used to be up to 2% back back I believe. 

The tiered reward system already gives plenty of incentive not to use their card. Why accumulate when I can get a full 1 percent back on every other card out there. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 8
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Last month Business week did an article on Discover Card (I'm a little behind on my magazines because of moving and stuff)  Anyway... they actually showed profit last year over people like citi who saw losses of 40%.

They also flagged borrowers who had more than 1 mortgage and either didn't give them a card or kept there limit low which has saved them now also.

and made there rewards better.

I have recently paid my business Discover off (bt offer was on it) and have started using and like it, I just can't get the limit to move which irritates me... but I'm thinking maybe after 6 months of the card being used and pif vs maxed out they will look at me better (well my mom I guess I should say, the card is in her name and I am named manager on the account, which allows me to make all decisions on the account just as account owner. 

Here is that BW article:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_08/b4120056121668.htm?campaign_id=rss_null

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover was my first card! Back when I got it (in 1991) it was hard to find places outside of NYC that honored it. Now, it's just about everywhere (except overseas). I respect the company a great deal, and enjoy the great service I get. It's funny, because they are one of my lowest limit cards at 13,200. They never raised my CL's like candy, the way BOA and Chase have, which is fine by me. I'll never use that much credit anyway.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is one of my favorite cards. I always liked their reward program but unfortunately, lately they have been making some changes to the rewards that are not so great. I also wish they change their way of marketing products to their customers.  Their marketing campaigns have been very aggressive and a little too pushy for my taste.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I also wish they change their way of marketing products to their customers.  Their marketing campaigns have been very aggressive and a little too pushy for my taste.

During one of their ad calls, I told them to put me on their "no call" list for marketing purposes, and they did. I didn't get any calls from them after I had made that request.

Message 7 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Discover More card (used to be a Motiva) and so far, so good. I'm not ready to say they are the Amex of 2 years ago. IMHO, no CCC is there yet.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.