Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Chrome to Discover it Successful Online Product Change

tag
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Discover it Chrome to Discover it Successful Online Product Change

I recently discovered that Discover has an online tool for product changes: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/change-rewards-program.html.

I logged into that tool and had the option to switch from the Chrome card to the regular IT with the 5% rotating categories, which is something I wanted to do but thought you had to wait an entire year to product change cards. The switch will take effect next month and they will send me a new card. I've heard that they recently started issuing contactless cards, so hopefully the new card will have that. I opened the account in October so it appears that you do not have to wait an entire year in order to product change Discover cards. I hope these DPs help those who might be looking to product change Discover cards.

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 11.59.14 AM.png

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it Chrome to Discover it Successful Online Product Change

Congrats!!  This is good to know!  I've been wanting to change my Chrome card.  Thanks for posting about this!

Message 2 of 5
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Interesting! Thanks for the DP's CreditAggie!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The reason many banks make you wait a year is due to the CARD act which prohibits annual fee changes in the first year even at your request. So technically, a bank is only prohibited from letting you change to a higher fee product within the first year. They are allowed to let you change to a no fee card whenever they want. In practice many banks just choose to apply a 1 year blanket policy to eliminate confusion.

Since Discover has no cards with annual fees, no reason to make anyone wait. 

Message 4 of 5
MrZero
Regular Contributor

Nice find, wish I knew that a week ago when I finally got around to doing a PC to my card. Actually wish I did it before my June statement cut so I could've gotten a bit out of the gas bonus but oh well. I contacted support through the messaging system and after I enable the 5% for this quarter on the 19th they said they'd go back and adjust my qualifying purchases.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.