Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Secured no more?

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Discover it Secured no more?

I have a friend with no credit who wishes to start building a solid credit profile.

She's 23 with a full-time but low-income job. She's not a student. She has no housing expense (lives with parents).

Credit Karma shows she has zero credit lines, no credit score, and one inquiry each on TU and EQ (credit card apps that weren't approved).

I thought a good course of action would be to apply for the Discover it Chrome card with the hope of one of two possible scenarios:

1. She's approved and therefore has her first unsecured card, albeit probably with a starter credit limit
  2. She's not approved but is offered a Discover it Secured card

As (bad) luck would have it, she was not approved and was only offered to add a joint applicant. From the myFICO forum, I knew there was a secured version of the Discover it card so I told her to get on chat and ask to be reconsidered for the secured card. The chat rep told her there is no secured Discover card.

Question: Has Discover discontinued the secured version of their card?

To continue with the story, she ended up getting approved for the Capital One Secured MasterCard ($49 deposit for a $200 credit line). Now her credit journey has begun.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover it Secured no more?

The secured is a hit or miss counter offer, sometimes it's offered and sometimes not. I'm not sure what criteria they use to offer it, but don't be surprised if she applies again down the road and gets offered it, that's just how discover rolls. But no they have not discontinued it.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.