Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover mid-cycle reporting... again!

@SwampSystems wrote:

I was very apprehensive before using my Discover card again after the last statement cycled. Last cycle I ran up a balance 2 days after the statement closed, which was promptly reported at Experian (though not at Equifax or TransUnion). This month, I made sure to wait until EX and EQ reflected an updated zero balance before spending again.

Today, almost 2 weeks into my new cycle, they reported my current balance of $310 to TransUnion! My TransRisk score c/o CreditKarma went from a 751 to a 723, but my TransUnion FICO c/o Walmart only went from 744 to 743. I guess this just goes to show how little value you can put into FAKO scores!

I'm to the point with my credit limits where a little utilization won't kill me, but it's just frustrating to see mid-cycle reporting after you've worked so hard to get a zero statement balance. I'm still waiting for $12,750 in CLIs to update on the rest of my cards, so I guess it won't make much of a difference after that.

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that this seems to be the norm for Discover.

I've never had this happen to me before, thats weird. Have you talked to their credit bureau dept. at all?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 22
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I've never had this happen to me before, thats weird. Have you talked to their credit bureau dept. at all?

No, I just figured there is nothing they would do about it because the information they reported was accurate on the date that they reported it.

Message 3 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

No, I just figured there is nothing they would do about it because the information they reported was accurate on the date that they reported it.

They might not be able to update but they could give you insight as to why they are mid-cycle updating your account.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I think from reading these forums that Discover is known to do this for whatever reason.  It's not just you Smiley Happy.

        
Message 5 of 22
andre181
Established Contributor

My Discover skipped reporting this month for some reason. And it makes me kinda mad because I got a CLI and paid off a BT, so CL is reporting too low and balance reporting too high Smiley Mad

Oh well, util is only 3% with it reporting wrong so its not a big deall. I still love my Discover, its my favorite card in my wallet.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I dont know about everybody else but I take my credit reporting very seriously and i'll badger any creditor if they're slipping! Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 22
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I dont know about everybody else but I take my credit reporting very seriously and i'll badger any creditor if they're slipping! Smiley Tongue

+1000, im the exact same way LS.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

Why does it matter 90% of the time?  Granted I know people have gone through application addiction phases over time on this forum, but unless you need a pretty FICO for whatever reason (or as pretty as possible) getting up in arms over a mid-cycle or non-update for a given month doesn't do any good other than annoying your lender of choice.

Unfortunately all one really accomplishes is aggravating a CSR who has absolutely no ability to rectify the situation in the vast majority of cases... but likely does have some ability to make one's life more of a hassle than it needs to be if he or she so chooses.  I see complaints regarding lender customer service on this forum, while folks may think they're entitled to it (and in fairness that's somewhat legitimate) one'll usually get far further approaching it like the proverbial two-way street instead. 

End of the day, most people don't even know let alone care, so we're simply pushing ourselves further outside the bell curve.  

        
Message 9 of 22
lithium78
Established Contributor

I don't think Discover has updated for this month for me, because I haven't gotten a SW alert for the balance transfer I paid off two weeks ago.  The statement date was 12 days ago, so there's really no excuse.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.