Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover not graduating

tag
2B770
Valued Member

Discover not graduating

Same here. I'm on month 12. Still insecured. Equifax 680; TransUnion 685; Experian 658. Prior to applying to discover...scores were 601/550/602. Never late with discover and utilization is always low. Mostly 0% bit always use card during the month...just never let any balance report. Not sure of what's happening. I'm a little frustrated. Btw...I have 2 collections that are paid (since 10 months ago) and 1 charge off paid since 12 months ago. I have 2 closed accounts with many 30/60/90s...but all are 12 months or much older. Not sure why I'm not graduating.
Fico 8 Scores
July 2018:
Sept 2018:
Aug 2019:

Fico 8 GOAL:

Fico 9 Scores
Aug 2018:
Aug 2019:

Fico 9 GOAL:

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover not graduating

I'd call them to see if they have any insight on why.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores are still pretty low. Typically, I've seen graduation around 640.
Also, calling won't help because it appears that Discover graduation is automated.

Just give it some time and work on cleaning up your file. It'll happen.
Message 3 of 9
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

I've had my Secured discover card for 2 years and 8 months.. and its still secured.. I was starting to get frustrated at one time as well but have come to terms with the situation.

As my credit improves, more options will become available to me and how much business they get from me will be up to them... I've learned a lot about credit over the past almost 8 months and realize at this point I won't be closing the account even if it remains a secured card. The limit is $2500.00 and I max the card out every month. Sometimes I max the card out, pay it off and max it out again..  Beginning in Jan. 2019, I started to PIF every month 1 day before the closing date.  Before this year I carried a balance every month which is why the card probabaly hasnt graduated.. I'm a lot smarter about my credit today than I was last year.

As frustrating as it's been to you, I'm sure there is something that they did not like about the way you've handled your account.. Good thing is, you can fix it.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 4 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

I've had my Secured discover card for 2 years and 8 months.. and its still secured.. I was starting to get frustrated at one time as well but have come to terms with the situation.

As my credit improves, more options will become available to me and how much business they get from me will be up to them... I've learned a lot about credit over the past almost 8 months and realize at this point I won't be closing the account even if it remains a secured card. The limit is $2500.00 and I max the card out every month. Sometimes I max the card out, pay it off and max it out again..  Beginning in Jan. 2019, I started to PIF every month 1 day before the closing date.  Before this year I carried a balance every month which is why the card probabaly hasnt graduated.. I'm a lot smarter about my credit today than I was last year.

As frustrating as it's been to you, I'm sure there is something that they did not like about the way you've handled your account.. Good thing is, you can fix it.

I enjoyed reading this; it’s very insightful. It’s a testament to how much you’ve learned and the path you’ve strived to follow. Kudos to you!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@2B770 wrote:
Same here. I'm on month 12. Still insecured. Equifax 680; TransUnion 685; Experian 658. Prior to applying to discover...scores were 601/550/602. Never late with discover and utilization is always low. Mostly 0% bit always use card during the month...just never let any balance report. Not sure of what's happening. I'm a little frustrated. Btw...I have 2 collections that are paid (since 10 months ago) and 1 charge off paid since 12 months ago. I have 2 closed accounts with many 30/60/90s...but all are 12 months or much older. Not sure why I'm not graduating.

It's hard to tell exactly why but maybe if any of those lates are recent (as in last couple of years), it might be a slight set back. Another thing, you had unpaid collections when you were first approved and while those are paid now, they just might need a bit extra time to evaluate your current "behavior" with credit. 

It will graduate eventually. Use it to your benefit, pay in full and hope it happens soon. 

You've done everything you can and sometimes it's just a waiting game 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think there is reasoning behind who and why there cards are graduated. I applied in Feb of 18', $200 SL, always carried a balance, scores in the mid 500s, and had roughly $5k in collections (medical). In October of 18' got an email saying I was graduating and received an $1.8k CLI.

A (phone) inquiry never hurts.
Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  Capital one did not refuse to graduate your card. For a short period of time they experimented with graduation but have since ceased that practice, so it's no longer done

If you had no use for it, it's a good thing you closed it

Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op, more than likely, its all the baddies on your report that still hinder you. Just let it ride. The best thing sbout Disco insecure, Smiley Wink, is they do graduate so the future is bright either waySmiley Wink
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.