Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover peculiarities?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover peculiarities?

My app finger was itchy so I decided to get a Discover card, since it covers a network I don't have, and I think the general impression of them is pretty positive here.

Are there any peculiarities about DFS that I should know? Like do they CLD for infrequent usage, or what are some common AAs I should be on the lookout for, etc... Buggy mobile app perhaps?

I'm aware that Discover theoretically is the most widely accepted card in the world due to alliances with regional networks like UnionPay, JCB, etc... but how well does it work in practice for anyone that's tried using it at a, say, UnionPay-only terminal?

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover peculiarities?

Discover does not support nor cover anything Average Joe related. If you are not average, named Joe, or go to Globo Gym, you are good to goSmiley Wink👍
Message 2 of 38
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I've had no issues with Discover and they were my first card to go past a $10K CL. They're mobile app works well and is pretty intuitive to use. The chat feature works well and the US based customer service seems to be able to do more than read from a script. AA from Discover seems to be a rare topic here on MyFico, and when it does occur, there's typically an understandable reason behind it. (missed payments, big score drop, etc.)

My name isn't Joe, so I guess that makes a difference Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover doesn’t really have any peculiarities in my experience other than their somewhat odd issuing of CLIs where you can be denied one day and literally get $3000 the next and the credit score sometimes doubles your inquiries or accounts so you should just use it for the score, which is accurate.

Their app is one of the best around, their customer service is excellent, the acceptance rate is going up around the world although it’s still recommended to have a VISA or MasterCard just in case, cash back is available when the statement is issued and they don’t seem to really take AA very often and actually tolerate people who revolve balances better than some other companies.

I wish they didn’t get rid of the Discover Deals so I would have a use for my IT on months that I don’t have a use for the category offered but otherwise I am pretty happy with my card. They were my first $10K since my rebuild too.
Message 4 of 38
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Discover does not support nor cover anything Average Joe related. If you are not average, named Joe, or go to Globo Gym, you are good to goSmiley Wink👍

Smiley LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 38
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Show pending charges as $1, instead of showing the real pending amounts.

Message 6 of 38
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Amex does this as well... From what I understand, an authorization for $1 is just to verify an open account?

Message 7 of 38
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Amex does this as well... From what I understand, an authorization for $1 is just to verify an open account?

All of my other cards show the real pending amounts.

I consider the 1 dollar view as a negative.

Message 8 of 38
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover Peculiarities...

The one that still sticks out in my mind is the random Wheel of CLI... 

That said... Cashover is a useful little feature that I only think the Walmart/Sams card is the only other card that offers it.. Its a small, fee free CA... 

Their chat support reps actually are useful... 

Not skittish about holding a large balance..

One of the only cards I know that you can usually get an APR reduction (temp or perm) , a 0% on new purchases, or a inexpensive BT on pretty reliably

Think they have one of the better mobile apps..

You can get 2 FICO CRA scores from them monthly (one in account and one via their Credit scorecard)

You can cashout cashback pretty much anytime for any amount... (though you only get the double on your anniversary)

They did nerf Discover Deals which were pretty good... and some of the car rental and other such things.. 

Also they tend to take a risk on folks with clean, new, thin files... But are starting to go after the rebuilders and offering a decent secured product as well... 

But no matter how hard we try, they still don't like @AverageJoesCredit .. Been waiting up here in the luxury seats on the Disco Train for him to get his ticket..... 

-J

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

All of my other cards show the real pending amounts.

I consider the 1 dollar view as a negative.

Disco has always shown me the pending amount. It was my grocery card for all of 1Q and I would get notifications when the card was used and for the amount so I could add it to my budget and also call my personal care at the store if the charge was higher or lower than my calculations said it should be. The only time I ever get $1 is when I make a purchase on a site I haven’t used the card on before and they do a test charge. Often these same companies won’t actually charge me until it ships so the $1 can sit there for a day or a few days before the real charge goes pending but it always shows up when it should. 

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.