Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pre-qual

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover pre-qual

Ever since getting my scores to a nice healthy number, I'd regularly check on a few sites for pre-quals (Chase, Amex, Discover).  Nothing ever shows up for Amex but that's cool, I'm patient (sort of).  Chase finally hit, snagged me a Freedom (huzzah!).  Discover always gave me the 12 point range, until today.  Today it's a 3 point range (13.24-16.24) with 0% APR for 12 months.  Considering I opened 3 cards in a month (Freedom, Southwest, and a PenFed), I planted my feet in the garden.  While tempted, I'll just water my little seedling.  I think I can wait a year or so before applying...hopefully.  *kicks can down street*

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover pre-qual

Wait for a while.  That first year with double cash back it is an amazing card.  Get your other bonuses and feet set with you other cards and save your Discover app for down the road.

Message 2 of 9
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I thought Discover's prequals were far from legit. I have never received a set APR from their website. Always a recommendation with a range of APRs. They honestly need to get new and better cards. They really dont offer much to compete with everyone else.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jawbrkr wrote:

I thought Discover's prequals were far from legit. I have never received a set APR from their website. Always a recommendation with a range of APRs. They honestly need to get new and better cards. They really dont offer much to compete with everyone else.

You really think so? It's one of my favorites.  I love the rotating bonus and double cash back the first year.    Of course, I really only put the category spend through it...

Message 4 of 9
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Yeah sure they have the 5% rotating categories. But I have never cared for that. I dont shop at Khol's or Amazon or any of those other places. I may use that for dining at restaurants when that category comes around. Otherwise its my least used card. I would rather have a straight unlimited 1.5% -  2% card. Something I can benefit from all year round. I really only keep it because I dont want to lose the credit line. But I probably will end up trashing it down the road. I got it because it was one of the easier cards to start with when i got back into the credit game and it is my oldest card.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outside of the first year (2X CB) and the rotating 5% categories, I'm not sure why anyone would want Discover (or Freedom for example) as the rotating categories are what make the card relevant.  If someone has a 5% rotating category card, but "doesn't really use the rotating categories" I'd question why they even have the card.

Message 6 of 9
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Outside of the first year (2X CB) and the rotating 5% categories, I'm not sure why anyone would want Discover (or Freedom for example) as the rotating categories are what make the card relevant.  If someone has a 5% rotating category card, but "doesn't really use the rotating categories" I'd question why they even have the card.

See above response. For the credit line...its my oldest card...wasmy first rebuilder card and was the easier card to obtain at the time. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jawbrkr wrote:

Just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean that they don't have a card that competes with others.  Many people find the 5% rotating categories for this card and the Freedom to be very useful.  The success of both cards kinda disproves your suggestion that Discover needs better cards.

Message 8 of 9
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jawbrkr wrote:

Just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean that they don't have a card that competes with others.  Many people find the 5% rotating categories for this card and the Freedom to be very useful.  The success of both cards kinda disproves your suggestion that Discover needs better cards.

That was simply my personal opinion. Forgive me for not clarifying. Enjoy your day.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.