Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover prequalify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover prequalify

I have no intention of applying for another credit card until closer to the end of the year. But, just out of curiosity, I did a prequalify for Discover. The only card I was "prequalified" for according to the site was a secured card.

How ridiculous. I have 3 unsecured cards now and discover really isn't the greatest card out there. They are now officially on my blacklist.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover prequalify

What are your CS? Any prior experience with Discover? What is your AAoA? Utilization?

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No experience with Discover whatsoever. Appx 4 yrs 9 months for AAOA.
Message 3 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

What 3 cards do you currently have?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicksilver $3000 cl quicksilver one $1000 cl and credit one $500 cl

But cards I have now is irrelevant

Discover isn't even a higher society card anyway
Message 5 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Quicksilver $3000 cl quicksilver one $1000 cl and credit one $500 cl

But cards I have now is irrelevant

Discover isn't even a higher society card anyway

Actually the cards we currently have are very much relevant at times.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't true. You don't get approved because you have say a chase card or denied because you have a Quick silver. Doesn't work that way
Message 7 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Our credit profiles have alot to do with getting other approvals. A file with multiple higher credit lines tend to get offered higher initial credit lines with other lenders, not always the case but often it is. A thinner file with subprime lower limits, tend to get offers comparable to those.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So let me see...You've got 3 cards with a total CL of $4500 ($3000 of which is on one card), and your AAoA is 4yrs 9mos...You still haven't given Fico Scores, Derogs, Utilizations, DTI, or anything else.  You make the conclusory statement that the cards you now have don't factor into the equation, which is incorrect.  Is it safe to assume you did not want comments, assistance, or any input with regard to your initial declaration that you are officially blacklisting Discover?  Because if you do desire input, it's helpful to provide the requested information and not just argue with people who are trying to help you.  Have a wonderful day! Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

"On paper," I should be the last person that Discover would want. But they just approved me for a Discover IT Cash Back ($800 limit and the highest APR). I have a pretty severe, very fresh (3 mo old) baddie (90-day late) and high utilization. And I'm poor! (Low income.) Why would they give me a card and not you, OP, who probably have a far better profile than me? Beats me!

I can't even prequalify for a secured card with Citi or US Bank. Credit One treats me like a leper. Indigo? No go.

I'm VERY grateful to Discover; I feel great about their approval, but I don't delude myself that this suddenly means I'm creditworthy with all the other banks. Something else was in play when they approved me. Some other mysterious policy or rule or criteria that they have. 

They probably refused you an unsecured card for some equally mysterious criteria or rule. I wouldn't rule them out completely forever, but you sound like you have other options as well.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.