Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover's Paypal

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Discover's Paypal

This thing is definatley the cat's..... well lol

Im over seas and the constant $5 ATM and 1% transaction fee was killing me. I always need the equivelent of $20 or $30 bucks, but dont like to carry cash.

So taking $20 out would cost you 5+ each time.

I tried Discover's send money "Pay Pal" I sent myself $200 without any charge from Discover or Pay Pal.

Discover treats it like a regular purchase and you get points too Smiley Happy

Pay Pal doesent charge anything extra for using the debit card out of country, no conversion, no nothing, so I can pull out $20 bucks or so at a time.

Cool beans, I will save a fortune Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
theeteetotaler

Re: Discover's Paypal

I've wondered about doing this as my Paypal Debit Card earns 1.5% cash back and with the bonus from Discover I'd be earning 2.5% cash back.   I was just afraid that the standard Grace Period wouldn't apply.  Even if you don't have the paypal debit, you could just send yourself up to $500 per month and then transfer it back into your bank account and pay off your discover balance for easy money each month.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Message 2 of 7
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

From the FAQs:

Can I use this service to pay myself?

No, you cannot send money to yourself

Not sure how they would enforce it, though.

$500/month at 1% cashback would be $5. Worth the hassle? I dunno.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Good to know. I'll going to Medical School in Aruba very soon and this can come very handy. Also MasterCard is much more widely used than Discover. This could be a win / win situation for me.

Message 4 of 7
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Not saying it's not possible but the probability is very low that they actually have some sort of team or automatic program to cross reference email address of people your sending money too...so if it works I say go for it, either way your paying the bill in the end.
Message 5 of 7
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Hey, i would be very careful about doing that.. I did that a couple times a few years back because my credit card had a high cash advance fee.. After about 6 months of doing that , i got an call from paypal, with the whole speech about how you cannot send money to yourself through a credit card, because its a cash advance blah blah blah.. Long story short they said if it continues they would close my account.. Havent done it since, because my ppal account is very valuable to me and my business..

Good luck to you

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
minimock
Frequent Contributor

I think that's why they limit the service to $500 a month. More then I'll ever use.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.