cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secured can be switched to 5% rotating categories

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Discover secured can be switched to 5% rotating categories

I'm not sure it's technically a product change, but, you can switch from the 2% restaurants/gas version to the 5% rotating categories version. I asked in chat, and the CSR said "sure" and told me it'll switch on August 19. I can keep using the same card or request a new one. The cash back match after 12 months is unaffected, I'll just accrue cash back differently starting Aug. 19.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, thought I'd post in case people weren't aware.

But, I wouldn't actually qualify for a lot of stuff right now. Everything listed is new to my profile since April 2019, except the Exxon card. The AU card hasn't reached TU, so no FICO score on TU yet. I have a ton of hard inquiries March-July 2019. No derogs. Numbers shown are FICO 8, but other FICO variants can be a lot different (for example, Experian Bankcard 2 is 642).
Keepers:

Will be closed by March 2020:

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports:

Short-term goal: My stuff is in too much of a state of flux to have one that matters ...
Long-term goal: Legit, meaningful 770s across the board.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Discover secured can be switched to 5% rotating categories

Thanks for the info !
"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 2 of 6
Regular Contributor

I also did this when my Discover was secured. 

Last October I was told by a CSR that I had to wait for my first statement before they could approve the product change. I called back after that and my rewards changed over after billing cycle #2.

Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Didn't work. CSR said I have to wait until I graduate or 12 statements.
Open LOC:
Paid-off Installment Loans:
2018:
2019:
Message 4 of 6
Established Contributor

@513credit wrote:

Hmm, maybe try again via chat, your CSR might be mistaken. I am two statements in, and not graduated. Good luck!

But, I wouldn't actually qualify for a lot of stuff right now. Everything listed is new to my profile since April 2019, except the Exxon card. The AU card hasn't reached TU, so no FICO score on TU yet. I have a ton of hard inquiries March-July 2019. No derogs. Numbers shown are FICO 8, but other FICO variants can be a lot different (for example, Experian Bankcard 2 is 642).
Keepers:

Will be closed by March 2020:

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports:

Short-term goal: My stuff is in too much of a state of flux to have one that matters ...
Long-term goal: Legit, meaningful 770s across the board.
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

@513credit wrote:

Hmm, maybe try again via chat, your CSR might be mistaken. I am two statements in, and not graduated. Good luck!

Update: Due to a security freeze, I made to manually call in to do the change-over. I am now an IT card holder!

Open LOC:
Paid-off Installment Loans:
2018:
2019:
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.