Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secured

tag
ryox03
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover secured

I remember getting an offer for the secured with a score of 630 and declining it. Apped with more recent scores and straight denial.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 11 of 32
willwar14
Valued Contributor

You can now app for Discover Secured!

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/secured/

no longer a counter offer!

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 12 of 32
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: You can now app for Discover Secured!

I wonder how Discover will position this card, as an establishing card, or rebuilding card? An establishing card is more for people with no or very short history with no baddies and rebuilding card for people that have collections etc and want to repair.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 13 of 32
happypill
Valued Contributor

Seems pretty solid for a secured card with no AF and automatic review to unsecure after 1 year, however I think they need to review how a secured card should be positioned.  Since it is fully secured (well, I'm not sure if its always fully secured), then they shouldn't be so picky with their credit approvals.  The whole key to a secured card is that someone with problem credit can get it and use it to build.  It seems like they are declining people who might otherwise qualify for some unsecured cards, which defeats the whole point.

Message 14 of 32
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing! This will be my "in" since I haven't had any luck getting the counter offer.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 15 of 32
ddemari
Super Contributor

Dang, I'm not applying for anything right now but I would love to get in with them. Last time I applied for Discover It miles, they pulled TU and I thought I golden, but denied with a 724. 

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to apply but won't until there are more data points.
Message 17 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to apply but won't until there are more data points.

my friend applied today and it went through many pages including adding bank account info after it seemed like it processed the application and then another page after banking to add verification documents like address verification and id verification and then went to final processing.

His score is 550-605 depending which report.

I'll update when he hears back.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao today I

Applied for QS1, Instant approval

Applied for walmart cc instant approval

Applied for Discover it secured denied "RECENT DELINQUENCY WITH ANOTHER CREDITOR"

They are talking about a cap1 card from 2009...

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh Gosh! Reading how great your scores are and getting declined scares me I almost know I will be declined. I dont guess they have terms like any other secured card? I have no credit and thought this would be a great secured card I'm guessing no. It told me my application wouldnt even be processed until they made 2 small deposits into my bank account in 2-3days; stated that after that happened and I confirmed the amounts they put into my checking that they would then submit my application and withdraw the money IF I was approved for the credit card. I applied in december with no inquires ZERO for the student card that many people in the comments on there site said they got with no credit got the 7-10day and they denied me with no counter offer they did say I could get on with a co-signer(Both of my aunts have been long time discover customers; but I wasn't about to ask for a cosign) They have most of there cards maxed out these days and; I dont want that anywhere near my credit even though I'm almost certain there scores are high 700-800 range because they are never declined for any major card or store card its always instant approval with them with huge lines from what I can tell. ( I dont see how with there high utilization they can be approved so easily but it may be because each of them own there homes outright and have atleast 20 credit lines both major and store) Im hopping for an approval for this discover it secured but am really doubting it. FInger Hut offered me a 250$ fresh start plan today pending verifiying documents. (Seems its hard to prove I'm me to anyone; Nordstrom bank wants mailed in copies of my Social Security Card, ID, and a utility bill; I told the guy I'm just 18 I don't have a utility bill in my name his response was; well you could send a bank statement but thats probably not going to be enough to verify who you are) Had me like what?! This is for the Nordstroms Debit card mind you not a credit card! I'm hoping it gets easier as I get older an I won't always be submitting documents to everyone proving I'm me. With Discover it I want to garden because it will give me rewards and get me in with an awesome bank; To date I have my Capital One Secured less than a month a VonMaur Charge and upon verification will have FingerHut; I'm only planning to use 50$ the minimum for a smart start plan make the 30$ down payments and owe 20$ and have the remaining 20$ paid off within 2 statements so they will graduate me to a reporting revolving line of credit. My credit journey is going well so far.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.