Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disney Card $200 statement credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disney Card $200 statement credit

For those unaware: Chase actually offers a Disney debit card - it has all of the unique perks of both Disney credit cards, except no Disney Cash back (but seriously...I'll take UR points any day...). I actually already had a Chase checking account and was contemplating closing it and using my Kasasa account as my sole checking account, but then I found out about the Disney debit card. I just called up Chase and they said there'd be no problem issuing a Disney debit card for my existing checking account, and that there was no detriment or lost benefits in going to the Disney debit card, I would just be gaining all of the park and store discount benefits and perks that the Disney credit cards have.

Frankly, even with the $200 sign up bonus with the Disney CC, I still don't think it's worth going for with the existence of the Disney debit card. If you really want the Disney perks and benefits, go with the Disney debit card - super easy if you already have a checking account, and it seems they frequently have bonuses for opening checking accounts if you're not. For that same hard pull, though, you could get a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited - or even better, a Sapphire Preferred with no fee the first year and a 50,000 UR point sign up bonus. Decide if you want to keep it in year 2 on, or you can downgrade it to a Freedom. This approach would leave you with the Disney debit card, CSP or Freedom and 50,000 UR points that you could use for travel or cash out for $500 at any time rather than the Disney credit card, useless Disney cash back, and uh...yeah, that same individual hard pull on your credit report.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you go on a Disney vacation every year, you can finance it @ 0% for 6 months.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also send me BT checks (which I have no need for currently). That’s the only reason I throw a small charge on once a month to keep active, in the event I wanted to use a BT check.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

F4Phatom -

You're leaving out 3 Major details.

1) To get the CSP they have stricter lending criteria, including the 5/24 rule which does not apply to Chase's Disney.

2) To get the Signup bonus for CSP you need to spend 8x that of what you'd have to spend to get the Disney Bonus! With that same $4,000 spent to get the CSP bonus I could met (2) $2,000 spends on SouthWest Cards and end up with 100,000-120,000 points (same as 100k UR to me at least because that's what I do with my UR and it's valued at 1.8 cents per point compared to 1.25 with CSP).

3) With the Disney Debit card you have no ability to refer anyone so you potentially lose out on $500! The link OP posted for DOC shows dozens of referrals going out and plenty of people earning that full $500 just through that one page!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good points on the CSP, that's why I also suggested the freedom cards. True on 5/24, but frankly I think if someone is past 5/24 then piling another card on top of that (prolonging the time until you can get under the rule) should be for a very good card...if that's the Disney card for some people then fine, but frankly I think there are better options, especially with the existence of the Disney debit card.

As for the Disney referral bonuses, as I read them, those are paid out in Disney gift cards. I'd rather have the cash referral bonuses with the main line chase cards. Southwest cards sound nice, if one were to be a frequent flyer of Southwest as you are.

Although the 6 months 0% on Disney trips is a really nice perk to the Disney CC that I wasn't aware of.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My situation (and I'd assume a lot of others) is that I'm over 5/24 and about 3 of them were all within a month of each other so they all get removed relatively at the same time. (App Spree).

So even adding a new card doesn't really hurt because all 3 of those will come off at the same time and will still be able to app for a 5/24 card.

As for the referral bonuses it's a free $500 in Disney Gift Cards, it in no way impacts your ability to refer for other cards too, so it's only benefits.

For me I live in MN so there are 0 Chase Branches or ATM's here so having a debit card with them makes no sense for me.

Personally I like it because it's an easy spend requirement, I read that link on DOC and applied via someone's referral link giving them $100. Meeting a 4K spend requirement would be difficult for me within 90 days especially only for 50k RR (I'd use it to transfer to SW turning it into RR).

Honestly I fly maybe 3 times a year, but with a group of 3 people total. So for a cheap Roundtrip Flight it's minimum 35k Points meaning in a year we'd use 70-105k Points. So I guess that's flying a lot, though it seems like nothing compared to a lot of people on here. Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 18
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

wrote:

The Chase Force is not strong with me, unfortunately.  The last time I dealt with them, the recon guy on the line very firmly told me Chase wouldnt approve me for anything for a minimum of a year, and probably longer, given the number of new accounts and inqs I had at the time (last August)

I do want a Darth Vader card tho, that would be cool.

At least they didn’t beat around the bush with it...🙂

Message 17 of 18
Kree
Established Contributor

wrote:

@If you go on a Disney vacation every year, you can finance it @ 0% for 6 months.

Only as a vacation package through the disney portal, still a good perk, but needed the caveat.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.