Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diversity

Is it good to have diversity in card merchants such as Visa, MC, etc? I am wondering because my cards are all MC and Amex and was wondeing if I should have a Visa as well. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Diversity

The chances of you going somewhere that takes visa and not MasterCard are slim to none.

Message 2 of 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It doesnt matter. A card is a card. It was just discussed in a earlier thread. If your a high roller then WEMC's and Visa Signature benefits may come into play, Check out yesterdays thread--->https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Mastercard-or-Visa/td-p/5352136

Message 3 of 24
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

I think it's more important to worry about having a Visa or MasterCard if your traveling... AMEX is the only one still til this day you find trouble using abroad.....

But if you have MasterCard I think your covered...

I definitely wouldn't apply to a card just to get the visa logo....
Message 4 of 24
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Don't forget about having a Discover card!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just apped for a Discover it secured with $2500 CL, should be here soon!

Message 6 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

It matters sometimes. If you ever think about shopping at Costco, you'll need a Visa card -- or you could always take a trip to a Costco in Canada since they take MC. Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco is actually what prompted this as the only Visa I have is debit Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

99% of the time it really doesn't matter. Visa/MC are almost always interchangeable. Not worth worrying about it unless you are in one of the fe specific situations (i.e. Costco) where it matters. Otherwise, focus on benefits and features outside of the network because it's pretty meaningless most of the time.

Message 9 of 24
Medic981
Valued Contributor

My goal at the beginning of my rebuild was to have one CC each from the four payment networks which I finally achieved last month with my Amex.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.