Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diversity

@Revelate wrote:

Individual transaction networks do go down, I've had it happen twice to me actually which admittedly is something like lightning striking twice but having the other card does help even though I didn't have the MC on me last time (but the restaurant I was at knew I was good for it heh).  Admittedly the local merchant having the issue is more common as KDM suggests.

Will say though after Kroger made national headlines for kicking Visa to the curb and likely a slew of merchants are watching to see what happens there, I'm of the opinion everyone should have at least two major networks in their portfolio... I do think 4 is overkill even if I do have all 4 majors here in the US.

I'm still wondering which card I'm going to have to use next time I go to Harris Teeter (which is a subsidiary of Kroger) to refill my prescriptions, which should be around the end of September. If they say no thanks to any of my Visas, I'll just pull out my PayPal 2% MC or my Discover, though.

Message 21 of 24
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just apped for a Discover it secured with $2500 CL, should be here soon!

Discover is great! Only places I've had trouble using it is Costco, shady liquor stores and every country I've been to except Japan.

Current FICO8:

2017: $200 secured card | 2023: $200,000+ total credit line
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will keep that in mind Smiley LOL. I think I read somewhere they work in China too, something about them using the same technology. 

Message 23 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Yes, Discover has partnerships with JCB and UnionPay to run on their networks.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.