cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Banks Not Like it If Consumers ONLY Use a Card for Zero Interest Balance Transfers?

tag
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

Do Banks Not Like it If Consumers ONLY Use a Card for Zero Interest Balance Transfers?

Just wondering if a bank can get a bad taste for cardholders who only use a card for BTs.  I have 4 cards with Citi and Discover that I have only used for BTs.  Both keep sending me checks and offers for stuff (all the time) - trying to entice me to other uses I guess.  But I don't want to mix purchases with BTs because I don't want to confuse and trip up my zero interest on the BT.  I use other cards for purchases.  Once I pay down the balances over the zero interest period, I will consider using the cards and paying in full.  But until then, nada mas.

I would hate to be balance-chased for how I'm using the cards.  Anyone have any experience or feel for this?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do Banks Not Like it If Consumers ONLY Use a Card for Zero Interest Balance Transfers?

When banks want to make sure they get something from the deal, they charge a fee for the BT. As long as you are paying down the balances, I wouldn’t really worry about it. A good rule of thumb is to pay at least two times your minimum payment with most issuers. 

Message 2 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Do Banks Not Like it If Consumers ONLY Use a Card for Zero Interest Balance Transfers?

They're happy you transferred your balance over. I wouldn't overthink what the banks "like" or don't "like". As long as you're making the payments and paying down the balance I really see no issue with not using the card for actual purchases. I don't think you'll be balance chased for using a BT offer as intended and paying it down in a timely manner.

Don't get too wrapped up in the "feelings" of the bank because they are not worried about ours. Just use your cards for whatever purpose (BT, purchases, etc) that you need and pay the bill.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my experiences, I have had three BTs with Discover and one with Chase over the last twelve months and now I am paid up and returned to the regular purchase world.

Both banks seemed satisfied with my payments on time and there BTs helped me with Home Improvements.

Feels good to be paid off!
Message 4 of 13
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

"Like" probably a bad choice of lingo.  But on this forum, we are constantly trying to presume how creditors think.

I asked because a poster on a different thread said he was balance-chased and the only thing he could figure was that he was a serial BTer and nothing had changed in his history. Don't know if we can be 100% positive.

Message 5 of 13
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For my experiences, I have had three BTs with Discover and one with Chase over the last twelve months and now I am paid up and returned to the regular purchase world.

Both banks seemed satisfied with my payments on time and there BTs helped me with Home Improvements.

Feels good to be paid off!

It does feel good.  Especially paid off with no interest.

Message 6 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

They're happy you transferred your balance over. I wouldn't overthink what the banks "like" or don't "like". As long as you're making the payments and paying down the balance I really see no issue with not using the card for actual purchases. I don't think you'll be balance chased for using a BT offer as intended and paying it down in a timely manner.

Don't get too wrapped up in the "feelings" of the bank because they are not worried about ours. Just use your cards for whatever purpose (BT, purchases, etc) that you need and pay the bill.

Ditto!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I have been getting 0% with 0 transfer fees from Comenity Bank for nearly 2 years now. I have only done these BTs and never made a purchase on the card while they are active, I also continue to get CLIs on the card while only using these BTs. At some point I may not get anymore, will cross that bridge when it gets here.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of CC providers charge a fee up front that is well above most of the highest interest rates that you would see in a given month. They are also gambling that at least some people will not pay it off on time, and they get to collect interest.

If you combine the two, they are getting their money back. I don't think they care if you use the system. They got another customer, they get the swipe fees, and they have a potential for collecting interest. They win either way.

Message 9 of 13
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Many moons ago, I was carrying some substantial debt (well into five figures) for awhile and these BT offers from the big banks helped me to eventually pay them off without having to resort to BK or anything extreme.  I had them with Chase, Citi, Discover, FNBO, UMB, and Bank of America at different times.  Nobody balance chased me even though I did not add purchases to my balances.  Sometimes I transferred 90% to close to 100% of my available limit but still nobody balance-chased me.

On the other hand, also many moons ago, I was balance chased by several large lenders.  In my experience, it was all due to running up new purchase charges, some late fees (less than 30 days late), and as my scores dropped as debts climbed.  Some AA - balance chasing and/or closing of accounts - seemed to be related to what other lenders did, unfortunately.  It had an alarming domino effect for awhile.  Definitely don't ever want to go down that road again. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.