Did you mean: 

Do CCC (Chase) mind returns? :(

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Do CCC (Chase) mind returns? :(

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Its quite normal really. Sometimes you get stuff home and find it just isn't for you.

From time to time, yes.  10+ times a month, every month, not so much!  And from OP:

" likes to buy stuff just for the sake of returning it to the store"

i.e. the experience of returning has some value to her.

I don't know about OP's mom, but when I worked at Target we got lots of returns at the end of the month (most likely people overspending and wanting money to pay rent/bills) or some people just liked to return stuff. (Half were people that used coupons and were trying to scam us by using a coupon and then trying to return it for full selling price)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

LoL I'm sory if I did not make it clear but the coffee shop in mine and I put 4-6k spend a month in my card to earn points, and after looking over the thread I wuld like to thank you guys for your replys. I think I'll just ask her to use cash for items she just plans on returning the way she has always done it and I'll let her know to use the card for essentials/ stuff she knows she will want to keep.
Thanks All-Aiden
Message 22 of 30
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If it feels wrong then it probably is..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 23 of 30
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
LoL I'm sory if I did not make it clear but the coffee shop in mine and I put 4-6k spend a month in my card to earn points, and after looking over the thread I wuld like to thank you guys for your replys. I think I'll just ask her to use cash for items she just plans on returning the way she has always done it and I'll let her know to use the card for essentials/ stuff she knows she will want to keep.
Thanks All-Aiden

Hmm, well if your mom is doing it just for the price, one way to tamp it down may be to get a card from Citi, and then register the items she buys. Citi Price Rewind will take care of most of this. But there's no two ways about it, she IS going to have to give up the excessive returns.

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks All-Aiden

Hmm, well if your mom is doing it just for the price, one way to tamp it down may be to get a card from Citi, and then register the items she buys. Citi Price Rewind will take care of most of this. But there's no two ways about it, she IS going to have to give up the excessive returns.

Sounds like she does it for more reasons than just saving money.  

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because everybody is a scammer right? Smiley Tongue
Message 26 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No, everyone is not a scammer, but anyone who works or has worked in retail know that there are always "serial returners" who come in all the time to return stuff. They often tend to be scammers. But not all the time. Sometimes they are just people who think a store is a lending library, and they can purchase and return when they no longer want or need something. I think stores have gotten out of hand with allowing returns on basically anything. There really is no point in having policies at all anymore, because people can return whatever they want. I understand something not working for you, but 10 times a month is excessive. Even if you are not a scammer, it is still excessive.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on volume. If you buy 10 items and return 9.....okay. I see your point. If you buy 100 items though...9 may not be all that excessive
Message 28 of 30
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, everyone is not a scammer, but anyone who works or has worked in retail know that there are always "serial returners" who come in all the time to return stuff. They often tend to be scammers. But not all the time. Sometimes they are just people who think a store is a lending library, and they can purchase and return when they no longer want or need something. I think stores have gotten out of hand with allowing returns on basically anything. There really is no point in having policies at all anymore, because people can return whatever they want. I understand something not working for you, but 10 times a month is excessive. Even if you are not a scammer, it is still excessive.

As someone who spent years in retail, I think returns are okay as long as they (1) have the receipt and (2) it's within a reasonable amount of time (~6 months). I found the scammers will always have us look transactions up on their card (because sometimes registers will take the coupon value off the total instead of the individual item) and never have a receipt. I had some regulars at Target and even the registers won't allow some people to return their cards anymore (only a gift card). 

I was shopping at Old Navy's after-Christmas sale and witnessed this one woman throw a huge hissy fit/scene when the store employee told her that no receipt returns have to be done at the store and you get a receipt and the company will later mail you a gift certificate. (Now that's the way to do it! I hope more stores follow suit) 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Because everybody is a scammer right? Smiley Tongue

I wasn't suggesting she was a scammer although I can see where that could be a trait of one.  I was thinking more along the lines of OCD but who knows.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.