cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CCC's Track Checking for Pre-Apps, Too?

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Do CCC's Track Checking for Pre-Apps, Too?

I've read on here that clicks on CCC's online 'luv buttons' are tracked, but do those that offer online pre-apps also track how often you check for pre-apps?

(No, Timothy & Cheddar, I'm not going to apply, so don't start packing up the things in my suite at the Concorduser Center, yet! Smiley Wink )

I've had fun in the recent past running periodic pre-apps just to see if changes in my reports/scores generate different offers, but reading about the luv button tracking got me wondering if frequently checking for pre-apps might have a similar detrimental effect on my internal profiles with the companies on which I've run those.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.  Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do CCC's Track Checking for Pre-Apps, Too?

I don't know the answer to that but it would make sense. If they have your name on a mail-order list they might tie the two together and send you more promotional offers. It is amazing what "Big Brother" does these days.
Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I know that when I check for AmEx pre-approvals on line, I have to re-enter my username and password, even though I'm already logged on. I wrote it off to AmEx's excessively complicated and disorganized website, but I'll bet they're keeping count.

Good. They'll know I'm interested. Come January.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know, I have wondered that myself.  The Citi button is a little different than those preapproval sites, because it's only for existing accountholders, so when you click it too often, they have more reason to be nervous.

As far as the BofA preapproval site in particular, though, unless I'm missing something, the only way to access offers they've given you previously is to fill out the form again.  If you fill it out once and receive some offers, I'm not sure how they'd expect you to return to those offers without filling it out again and going through the same process.  If you got offers before, you'll have those same offers until they expire, so they obviously do at least keep a record of whether you've been there before.

Good question, though, about whether they hold it against you if you fill out the form too often.  I don't know the answer to that one.

Message 4 of 7
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Thanks for everyone's responses - looks like I've won 'Stump the Board'!  Smiley Very Happy  Do I get a prize?  Smiley Tongue 

Obviously, this isn't exactly a critical question to get answered, more a point of curiosity, but I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts, especially our learned Mods'.  Smiley Happy

I'd not considered the promo-mailing aspect of things - thanks for bringing that up, debitisgood. 

Sounds like it's something to keep in mind as a possible detrimentality (is that even a word, or did I just invent it?!) and to avoid fooling with overmuch, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I do hate the thought of being penalized for curiosity. Smiley Mad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
Scamp
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I do hate the thought of being penalized for curiosity. Smiley Mad

Me, too, HTSU (I always want to say 'Bless you' when I type or read that acronym. Smiley Very Happy  ). 

Here's hoping we aren't, on this, but if we're getting tracked on our luv button tapping and having that viewed as being desperate for more credit, I wouldn't be surprised if pre-app button tapping is similarly counted and viewed.  *weary sigh*

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.