Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Citi & Chase blacklist

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Do Citi & Chase blacklist

Thank you, Hauling. I actually found that thread last night when I did a search. I was hoping someone might have some current info about these 2 creditors, specifically. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 21 of 41
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I had two Citi backed cards that went south and charged off back in 2000 - 2001. Just apped and was approved for Citi Diamond Preferred in August 2011. So in my experience the Citi blacklist is no more than 10 years. Don't know if it made a difference but the app was with a mailed pre-approve offer and an invitation code.

You may want to opt in and see if Citi sends you an offer at some point. Or if you can afford a single inquiry just find the offer you want and give it a shot. Twenty years should be long enough. FYI, my total charges on two cards were only about 2K when they charged off.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I had two Citi backed cards that went south and charged off back in 2000 - 2001. Just apped and was approved for Citi Diamond Preferred in August 2011. So in my experience the Citi blacklist is no more than 10 years. Don't know if it made a difference but the app was with a mailed pre-approve offer and an invitation code.

You may want to opt in and see if Citi sends you an offer at some point. Or if you can afford a single inquiry just find the offer you want and give it a shot. Twenty years should be long enough. FYI, my total charges on two cards were only about 2K when they charged off.

I was in a similar situation.  I defaulted on my Chase and Citi cards around 2001.  I apped in 2010 for a Chase-backed card and was denied, but a few weeks ago, I apped for both the Citi Platinum Select and Chase Freedom and was approved for both.  I think the 10 year blacklist sounds about right.

Message 23 of 41
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you both! You've given me a glimmer of hope. Smiley Happy I think I'll wait until the spring, when I'll have had my Cap Ones for 1 year and re-opt-in, and see if I get any pre-approved offers.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I was in a similar situation.  I defaulted on my Chase and Citi cards around 2001.  I apped in 2010 for a Chase-backed card and was denied, but a few weeks ago, I apped for both the Citi Platinum Select and Chase Freedom and was approved for both.  I think the 10 year blacklist sounds about right.

The 10 years blacklist thing starts from the day of CO or the date it opened? I too have citi & chase CO.... would like to get them back badly lol

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

The 10 years blacklist thing starts from the day of CO or the date it opened? I too have citi & chase CO.... would like to get them back badly lol

For me, it was when they went delinquent, so sometime in early 2001 (they were opened in the 90's).  When did yours go delinquent?

Message 26 of 41
mxp114
Valued Contributor

7-10 years sounds about right. From what I understand, they will simply instantly decline if you're blacklisted so it can't hurt to try at the 7 year mark. I'm curious, does someone exist that has CO/BK accounts with Citi/Chase/AmEx/Discover/BofA/US Bank/CapOne/HSBC? Are they basically doomed for 20 years? (BK+10 year blacklist)? Sounds like a terrible situation to be in.

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

For me, it was when they went delinquent, so sometime in early 2001 (they were opened in the 90's).  When did yours go delinquent?

delinquent = 1st 30 days late lead to CO right? chase is sept 2004, but i don't know about citi, since the citi account already dropped off from my report(5 yrs, live in NY). how can i find that out?

Message 28 of 41
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Vex, understand that this is just our personal experience and we do not have access to either Citi or Chase policies. In my case I don't even know the exact month the cards went negative or were charged off. And I did not keep a timeline that said OK it's been 8 years or 10 years I can try now.

I didn't apply with Citi over the years because I just assumed they would remember. And I hadn't even found these forums to get any education. I did apply after getting numerous pre-selected invites from Citi and deciding my current credit profile would likely meet their criteria as described by other members successes. I was fully prepared for them to say "No way Holding... We still remember you."

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 41
learnin113
Established Contributor

They both blacklist!

Citi, will consider with some prompting (the written method usually works)

Chase is unforgiving and spiteful (clearly I hate Chase) Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.