cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Credit Limit Increases (CLI's) on existing CC's affect New CC Apps?

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Do Credit Limit Increases (CLI's) on existing CC's affect New CC Apps?

Your cards have more than enough age to apply for Chase. They like to see an oldest card that's sufficiently old (at least a year) and that there aren't too many recently acquired cards (too many in the last six months to two years). They're not usually persnickety about recent installment loans, although your loans aren't really recent.

Getting CLIs first is a good idea. Utilization changing from 23% to 20% isn't likely to matter. While 8.9% or below is optimum, as long as you're at 28.9% or below, you should be in good shape to apply.

Message 11 of 18
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

After researching for a couple days I've decided the best for me would be:

1 - Chase Freedom (0% for 15 mths BT and $150 spend bonus I can apply toward the BT) Then 5% categories CB after the BT.  (This would be about a $3000 BT from my Disco)

OP, I don't think balance transfers count for spend on a sub if that is what you are thinking. I don't know for sure about Chase, but I know they won't count with Amex as spend for the sub, You to get that through swipes.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 12 of 18
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@ dynamicvb

No, no......I'm not assuming the BT will apply toward the spend bonus. I know that doesn't apply. To average $500 spend in 3 months I would be dumping a couple bills on there the first 3 months to reach $175/mth, above and beyond the BT amount. Pay off the $175 each month and leave the remaining BT to be paid over the remainder of the promotion.

Honestly, I think that's why they offer the 15-mth promotion. Gives you 3 months to reach your spend bonus, then the typical 12 months to work down any BT you may transfer.

Thanks for the whistle though.....someone else reading this for info may make the wrong assumption. I should have been a bit more clear about that.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 13 of 18
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Oh okay that makes sense. The sub will take down the amount of the BT anyway so its still free money.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 14 of 18
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio

Hey, sorry to bump this back up, but you seem to be pretty well-versed with the habits of the CC lenders.

When I apply for the new Chase Freedom and the Barclay Uber Visa, I'll be doing both pretty much back-to-back.....Is there a particular order in which I should apply? Or does it really matter? With Chase being so strict it seems it should be first, but I don't know Barclay's tendancies.

Thanks in advance!

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 15 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's been so long since you've applied for credit that I don't think it matters.

Having said that, Barclays is going to pull TU. Chase might or might not pull TU. I think I'd go for Barclays first, but it's hardly a slam dunk. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's opinion differs. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 18
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Just as a side note.....the most important part of applying for these is the BT, which will be through Chase Freedom. The Uber Visa is just a secondary thought to increase overall CL since I'm already applying for the BT card anyway. If I somehow get denied for the Chase I'm gonna have to abandon Uber and shoot for another BT card.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 17 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Then do Chase first. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.