cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Fingerhut and Gettington close for non use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Fingerhut and Gettington close for non use?

I got these two cards when I started rebuilding but I've never used them. It's been 6-9 months, and I'm worried if I don't use them soon they might close the card for me. Does anyone know if they do this, and what time frame they do it? Thanks
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
scarfa21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do Fingerhut and Gettington close for non use?

I am not sure about closing, but fingerhut just reduced my limit by 1500 for no usage, took about a year for them to do it.  

Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I got these two cards when I started rebuilding but I've never used them. It's been 6-9 months, and I'm worried if I don't use them soon they might close the card for me. Does anyone know if they do this, and what time frame they do it? Thanks

If you have other revolving credit by now,  you dont need them any more, and should not worry about those being closed. 

If you don't, you should be working on it and moving away from both. 

Message 3 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

If you don't use them, can you close them b4 getting a cld and that way they'll report as closed but at a higher cl?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

If you don't use them, can you close them b4 getting a cld and that way they'll report as closed but at a higher cl?

If they are closed with $0.00 balance, CL is not factored into utilization.  It's just a piece of history on CR 

Message 5 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

If they are closed with $0.00 balance, CL is not factored into utilization.  It's just a piece of history on CR 

But doesn't it look better to have a history with a higher cl than a lower cl?  idk, just wondering.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

No, once they have served their purpose, they look best closed, period
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always thought that closing a credit line will hurt your score. Is it not true in this type of situation? I opened them both up around August of last year and I've never used them. My average age of credit is around two years and I thought this would hurt that
Message 8 of 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I always thought that closing a credit line will hurt your score. Is it not true in this type of situation? I opened them both up around August of last year and I've never used them. My average age of credit is around two years and I thought this would hurt that

Closed cards normally keep reporting for up to 10 years.  It won't hurt your score or average age of credit to close a card.

Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It wont hurt. If those were your oldest accounts by many years, you'd feel it in about 10 years, but not in this situation. If there are no fees associated with these accounts, let them sit and close when you/they feel like it. 

If there are any fees, I'd close them now.  

There are only so many overpriced toasters one person can buy 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.