cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I assume that the recon threads = malarkey?

tag
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Re: Do I assume that the recon threads = malarkey?

Update:

So I got a call from Chase.  I had actually requested to speak to a manager but only got a sup - so this must have been the manager, and explained the situation.  He agreed with the analyst about the denial BUT clarified that if there are errors on Experian, reps have the authority to review either of the other bureaus if you know they're clean.  You can even specify a bureau if you want.  Given I had disputed all of the erroneous information on Experian but knew that TU and EQ were clean, I figured I had a shot.  So he sent me to an analyst.

She was really nice and I asked if she could run Equifax which she did with no problem (I purposely didn't do TU as it has the most inquiries out of the three).  Equifax has no derogs, no BK, and a small number of inquiries in the past two years - like, 10 total.

Put me on hold, came back, asked about four inquiries: Best Buy HSBC (I applied for the store card, they countered with the crappy RZMC, which I declined.  Wasted inquiry), USAA (they must have run my credit to open my checking account since that's all I have with them), Discover (which I have, see sig, it's also zero balance), and TORREYPNBK aka PartnersFirst, which is still a pending app after 10 days that I'll likely be declined for.  

Put me on hold, came back, asked about the monthly payment on Cabrillo since it wasn't reported - I pay at least 10% of the credit limit per month to each credit card.  In Cabrillo's case that's $300.

Put me a LONG hold, came back, said they were mailing a letter to have me send proof of address.  This is because Experian still reflected my two-year-old address as the primary and didn't fix it until after I'd disputed, so it didn't match.  I think Equifax also had the old address too, not sure.  No matter though, my utility bills are all online so getting that information will be extremely easy to do.

Dunno if the level of effort put into the recon means they're leaning towards giving me the card...but I will say this.  From now on, if I recon, I need to do two things.

1. Make sure it's a card provider that allows recon to a DIFFERENT bureau.  That means Citi is likely never to get my credit card business.
  2. Make sure I get a (young) female.  She was way more flexible than the other dudes I spoke to the first time.  Don't know if that's because I'm a male, or if the females are just more accomodating with their job.  I do sound like a young Barry White, who knows.

By the by, this is for the Chase Slate.  An actual VISA card (another thread about that).  If I can get at least a Chase card with a reasonable credit limit - $2k+, I'll close Capital One down and I'll be done applying for credit cards for at least 2 years.  That should be plenty of gardening time, and then I'll look into buying a house.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 11 of 13
DI
Super Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

Update:

So I got a call from Chase.  I had actually requested to speak to a manager but only got a sup - so this must have been the manager, and explained the situation.  He agreed with the analyst about the denial BUT clarified that if there are errors on Experian, reps have the authority to review either of the other bureaus if you know they're clean.  You can even specify a bureau if you want.  Given I had disputed all of the erroneous information on Experian but knew that TU and EQ were clean, I figured I had a shot.  So he sent me to an analyst.

She was really nice and I asked if she could run Equifax which she did with no problem (I purposely didn't do TU as it has the most inquiries out of the three).  Equifax has no derogs, no BK, and a small number of inquiries in the past two years - like, 10 total.

Put me on hold, came back, asked about four inquiries: Best Buy HSBC (I applied for the store card, they countered with the crappy RZMC, which I declined.  Wasted inquiry), USAA (they must have run my credit to open my checking account since that's all I have with them), Discover (which I have, see sig, it's also zero balance), and TORREYPNBK aka PartnersFirst, which is still a pending app after 10 days that I'll likely be declined for.  

Put me on hold, came back, asked about the monthly payment on Cabrillo since it wasn't reported - I pay at least 10% of the credit limit per month to each credit card.  In Cabrillo's case that's $300.

Put me a LONG hold, came back, said they were mailing a letter to have me send proof of address.  This is because Experian still reflected my two-year-old address as the primary and didn't fix it until after I'd disputed, so it didn't match.  I think Equifax also had the old address too, not sure.  No matter though, my utility bills are all online so getting that information will be extremely easy to do.

Dunno if the level of effort put into the recon means they're leaning towards giving me the card...but I will say this.  From now on, if I recon, I need to do two things.

1. Make sure it's a card provider that allows recon to a DIFFERENT bureau.  That means Citi is likely never to get my credit card business.
  2. Make sure I get a (young) female.  She was way more flexible than the other dudes I spoke to the first time.  Don't know if that's because I'm a male, or if the females are just more accomodating with their job.  I do sound like a young Barry White, who knows.

By the by, this is for the Chase Slate.  An actual VISA card (another thread about that).  If I can get at least a Chase card with a reasonable credit limit - $2k+, I'll close Capital One down and I'll be done applying for credit cards for at least 2 years.  That should be plenty of gardening time, and then I'll look into buying a house.

LMAO. Normally with Chase, it's the male analysts who are willing to approve after a recon call.  The females look for any reason to deny an applicant if they do not get instantly approved.  I got denied, approved or $5000 and denied again all in one day.    I waited two years later for my inquiries to fall off and got  approved recently.

Message 12 of 13
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Certainly hasn't been my experience so far.  But again who knows.  She seemed to be completely willing and open to consider the card unlike the first two jokers.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.