cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a shot at the AMEX EveryDay card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have a shot at the AMEX EveryDay card?

I've been on a bit of a hot streak lately...last weekend I applied for 3 cards and got approved for 2 which were a CareCredit card which I will manly use only for veterinary emergencies for my dog CL of $1,700 and to my surprise I also got approved for a Discover It card with a CL of $1,000 

I've read that Amex mainly pulls Experian, which is also my best file...699 FICO 8 score and 2 inquiries, 1 was in June and the other one was in April.

The only bad thing is that I have a AAoA of 6 months, however I don't plan on taking out any kind of loan in the future but I also don't want to waste a hard pull if I have absolutely no shot at it. 

What do you guys think? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Do I have a shot at the AMEX EveryDay card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been on a bit of a hot streak lately...last weekend I applied for 3 cards and got approved for 2 which were a CareCredit card which I will manly use only for veterinary emergencies for my dog CL of $1,700 and to my surprise I also got approved for a Discover It card with a CL of $1,000 

I've read that Amex mainly pulls Experian, which is also my best file...699 FICO 8 score and 2 inquiries, 1 was in June and the other one was in April.

The only bad thing is that I have a AAoA of 6 months, however I don't plan on taking out any kind of loan in the future but I also don't want to waste a hard pull if I have absolutely no shot at it. 

What do you guys think? 

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

As for your Amex question... remember nobody here is an underwriter for Amex; all we can do is tell you what our own experiences have been, and share what we've learned from reading data points from others here on the forum.

Here's my own experience... I got my own Amex cards (BCP and Green) with a 695 and two six year old COs.  I also had a Green card that was IIB7 back in 2000, and as you probably know they don't forget anything (even though it's been off my reports for years, when I log on it greets me "Member since 1995", so they definitely remember).  They also use that old account as the reason for denying my CLI requests.  At the time of my approval, my AAoA was around 6 years (it's lower now...).  I also had cards with credit lines of over $5k that were several years old, all with perfect payment histories (my only 'baddies' are the COs).

That being said, anecdotally others on here have reported having mixed results with stats similar to yours.  If you had a little thicker file and the same credit score, I would be inclined to say you likely had a good chance, but with AAoA of six months honestly it could go either way.  If you have any 'baddies' on your files holding your score back, I would definitely hold off, otherwise if your reports are 'clean' it's really up to you if you want to see what they would say.

I would also suggest checking their pre-qualification site if you haven't already.  If you have an offer there it's usually solid, and it could help you determine if the time is right, or if you might should wait. 

I wish I had better information for you; others here will likely have other data points to contribute... you can use the information provided to determine the best action to take.

Good luck!  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB - Thank you so much for your advice! I originally wanted to apply for the EveryDay card but instead I applied for the Blue Cash everyday and got approved! 

Message 3 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB - Thank you so much for your advice! I originally wanted to apply for the EveryDay card but instead I applied for the Blue Cash everyday and got approved! 

That is FANTASTIC!!    smiley-dance013.gif

The BCE is a great card... you're going to love it!

Welcome to the Amex family!

Message 4 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, which CC is the decline?

The limits on Care Credit and Discover are on the low side, and the 6-months history in credit is of course a factor as you realize.

Edit: Congratulations on the new card!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 14
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is FANTASTIC!!    smiley-dance013.gif

The BCE is a great card... you're going to love it!

Welcome to the Amex family!

The card is pretty Meh . 2 months to get rewards I rather use my Bank of America card and get it after a month with 2% CB

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The $ matters more to me than the rewards timeframe and even with the AF it nets a bit more than double the BoA's 2% for our spend.  As with any subjective matter, YMMV.  Each has to determine what best suits the indivudal based on the individal's requirements.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is it we don't have a database where FICO forum members can insert the credit score, what was pulled by the lender, and either if the application was rejected or approved. Also a location for other voluntary CR details (AAoA, zero baddies, etc) and for reason why application was rejected?

Message 8 of 14
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

The $ matters more to me than the rewards timeframe and even with the AF it nets a bit more than double the BoA's 2% for our spend.  As with any subjective matter, YMMV.  Each has to determine what best suits the indivudal based on the individal's requirements.

There is no AF.... the BCE is a 3% CB card on groceries vs 2% with the BOA card. Gas is 3% on that while 2% on the BCE.... for 1% less you get a Visa/MAstercard over Amex and faster rewards....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 9 of 14
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is it we don't have a database where FICO forum members can insert the credit score, what was pulled by the lender, and either if the application was rejected or approved. Also a location for other voluntary CR details (AAoA, zero baddies, etc) and for reason why application was rejected?

Because its all different. My score could be 700 with no baddies and a lot of HP's and yours could be 700 as well but with maybe 1 HP but 1 baddie on it

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.