Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have chance with AMEX?

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Do I have chance with AMEX?

I know this probably been asked before but i really would love to get in with AMEX. I tried last August and got denied for the Delta Gold.They pulled all 3 CR  and letter came back with EX Fico of 673. Reasons i remember were for recent collections. Time since account has been opened. inquries, etc. Now I do have 2 paid collections on my EX report that are now over 1.5 years old. They are not CC collections. I do have 2 CC chargeoffs from mid/late 2007. One is paid one is unpaid (cannot locate account with collection agency, kept getting bounced around from company to company so i left it alone. I have 15 inquries on EX but only one (BOA) since August 2012. On the good side i have about 12 revolving CC. Utilization is about 9-10%. My highest limit is 4000 on my WF and Cap1 (hasnt updated yet) at 3500. both of those accounts are over 1 year old. My AAoA on EX is 4 yrs, EQ 3.5 and TU only 2. I went to creditcards.com for fun and it resutled in a shot at AMEX BCE BCP and Delta gold. I take that with a grain of salt. Well anyways, dont want to make this too long. I wanted to apply for one of their charge card that way i can apply for BCE come September. Do i have a good shot or should i just wait for those collections to get older? (tried to GW but so far no luck). Any info or advice would greatly be appreciated.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Do I have chance with AMEX?

@dodgerslv wrote:

I know this probably been asked before but i really would love to get in with AMEX. I tried last August and got denied for the Delta Gold.They pulled all 3 CR  and letter came back with EX Fico of 673. Reasons i remember were for recent collections. Time since account has been opened. inquries, etc. Now I do have 2 paid collections on my EX report that are now over 1.5 years old. They are not CC collections. I do have 2 CC chargeoffs from mid/late 2007. One is paid one is unpaid (cannot locate account with collection agency, kept getting bounced around from company to company so i left it alone. I have 15 inquries on EX but only one (BOA) since August 2012. On the good side i have about 12 revolving CC. Utilization is about 9-10%. My highest limit is 4000 on my WF and Cap1 (hasnt updated yet) at 3500. both of those accounts are over 1 year old. My AAoA on EX is 4 yrs, EQ 3.5 and TU only 2. I went to creditcards.com for fun and it resutled in a shot at AMEX BCE BCP and Delta gold. I take that with a grain of salt. Well anyways, dont want to make this too long. I wanted to apply for one of their charge card that way i can apply for BCE come September. Do i have a good shot or should i just wait for those collections to get older? (tried to GW but so far no luck). Any info or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Based on my personal experienced with Amex, INQ doesn't really matter.

When I got Amex BCE, I was at 14 INQ with EX.

Although, having Amex Green for 5 months before apping for BCE helped for sure.

I would first go with Amex Green, get 6 months history with them, GET your revolver, then cancel the Green before AF hits if you want.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 53
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Idk bout the baddies...
In your case, the good outweighs the bad.
But in most cases, a baddie is a deal-killer for Amex:-/
I say 70% chance.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 53
toppers555
Established Contributor

I would have to lean towards a denial.  You have two collections which are pretty recent. Not to mention the two credit card chargeoff's. How does your chexsystem record look?

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 4 of 53
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 53
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think you have a chance to get a charge card like Green Card.  Charge Cards usually require lower score to qualify.  First, I got the charge card to get the foot inside Amex and then apply for Costco Amex after six months. By the way, they don't check the Chexsystem.

Ron.

Message 6 of 53
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Ron I believe its teletrack that they check.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 53
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 53
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

What is teletrack?
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 9 of 53
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's another agency that keeps information that may not readily be available on traditional CR's. They also can be another catch all for items that should be on your cr ie judgments, evictions.

From what I heard, having something on teletrack is usually not good.

Could be wrong.
Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.